Skip to main content

Need advice Please.

If going to 18R & 17F" Rims and Pilot sports.

Is the stock suspension worth the $$$ to powdercoat, replace bushings, ball joints, shocks, brakes, Rotors, bearings,Camber locks etc.

Or

Just bite the bullet and go with the
PI suspension kit.

Has anybody put the PI Suspension kit on?
Is there a better Steering Rack replacement?

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My advice:

>>Have your front upper control arms modified for increased caster & elongate the holes to allow for more negative camber adjustment, add the camber locks.

>>Add an adjustable rear camber bar. (If the chassis has taken a "set" to the point that the proper rear wheel camber is no longer achievable, then adjustable upper control arms for the rear wheels are called for)

>>Replace the control arm bushings using oem style rubber bushings.

>>Install a 7/8" rear anti-sway bar (or 1" front & rear)

>>Install spherical anti-sway bar ends front & back

>>Install spring height adjustable & dampening adjustable gas shocks & springs in the range of 300-400 lbs/inch front, 400-600 lbs/inch rear.

>>Have the lower rear control arms powder coated as they are the ones that are seen by other motorists.

>>Adjust the ride height of your car so the rear control arms are parallel with the ground, then lower the front end to level the car, or a bit more to give it a nose down stance.

>>Shop for wheels using weight as a major criteria, you want the lightest wheel/tire package you can find/afford.

>>4 wheel alignment & 4 corner weighting by someone who understands the Pantera chassis.

This transforms the car's handling, maintains good ride characteristics, doesn't break the bank.

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
quote:
>>Add an adjustable rear camber bar.

I.I.R.C the wheel house brace is not really designed to be the method of camber adjustment. With the stock slotted hole in the mounting brackets, it has a questionable time even holding the wheel houses firmly in place. Jack DeRyke has always suggested using a bar that fully indexes into the outer edges of the two mounting points.

If you can't get the camber settings you need using shims under the a-arm attachment clevice points, then you'll need to get an upper a-arm that is adjustable.

I fully agree with the rest of George's advice, especially the sphere balls for the sway bar-to-a-arm attachment. Even I noticed THAT upgrade. Wink

Larry

Attachments

Images (1)
  • aarm
Larry Thanks for your input.

I also own a 94 Viper. It doesn't have the caster/camber problems that the pantera seems to have. Tires wear evenly all four corners.
There is no comparison in the driveabilty of the two cars at least in comparison with my stock 71 Pantera with an advertised 56(K) miles.
Personally I believe its 156(k) miles.

I,m thinking about adapting the suspension and steering rack from a Viper 92-99 on the Pantera.

The 18" and 19" rims and tires available for the Viper and Brake/Rotor mods are simplified and plentiful. The Viper also employs stronger half shafts although and adapter would be required to connect to the ZF.

The Rims will be Inset instead of Offset.

I'll do some engineering on this concept this weekend to see if this is even feasible.
I have poly bushings and really like them. They maintain more accurate steering and suspension geometry under load and over time, make your steering more responsive, and provide better feedback and feel of the road surface. For smooth roads and performance driving they are superior to rubber.

For ordinary street driving, they will accentaute rough roads, translate somewhat more shock to your mounts, and will tend to signifcantly increase road noise.

I've seen several styles. The best are graphite impregnated and are molded onto a hex insert to prevent slippage on the internal bushing. It's a good idea to add grease zerks to each bushing location on the A-Arms while your replacing them.
Link copied to your clipboard.