Skip to main content

So , while re-doing all the suspension bushings, bearings,shocks, balljoints, etc, I decided to remove the steering rack and replace the famous plastic bushing. Dissasembled and replaced bushing no problem. Now I knew this car had been in an accident, but with no damage to the rack housing, I was surprised to see the main shaft (rack) is bent at the right side, so much so that upon reassembly, it is WAY too tight. Is it possible to obtain the rack and pinion only without the housing, or should I just abandon it and look for a new rack? TRW???

Rick
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Finally got the rack straight, fits the housing and bushing ok. With the pinion and original shims\spacers in place the rack seems a bit notchy by hand. If I add more shims to lessen the force on the concave bushing, I can get a smoother operation.My question now is how much play should there be(cw\ccw)in the rack or where the gears meet.? Is there a spec for this? How tight is too tight, or vice versa.I just want to be sure I dont sacrifice smoothness for saftey.

Rick
Link copied to your clipboard.