Skip to main content

The valve holes in both my 8" wheels is 14mm or 17/16"
so the standard 11mm hole air valve is loose and therefore unsafe.
Anyone else got this problem.

As far as I can ascertain here their are only 2 valve sizes

standard valve hole 11mm dia, or a

larger valve made for Taxis and Land rovers is

Valve TR415 which needs a 15.5mm hole.

have you another valve in the US that would fit?

Puzzled, and cheesed off after having them Painted!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I checked the three 8" wheels I have.

two were ~0.56" and one was ~0.44".

My memory is that the two 8's on the rear had press in rubber stems.

5177 had a 7 and 8 on the front when I got it. thus I would assume the one 8 with the 0.44" stem bore was the replacement

I will need the same repair solution you come up with

Attachments

Images (1)
  • LRa_valve_stem
Peter, it may pay you to have the oversized holes TIG-welded closed, then remachined to 11 mm. Also note that DeTomaso offered aluminum valve stems in the Gr-3 catalogue for Europe- only. These are still available from some vendors- I bought a pair last year. You could also contact Anders Hellburg in Sweden. Anders has a factory-built Gr-3 club-racer and maintains the DeTomaso Gr-3 Registry. He may even have some spare valve stems! Good luck-
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:
Peter, it may pay you to have the oversized holes TIG-welded closed, then remachined to 11 mm. Also note that DeTomaso offered aluminum valve stems in the Gr-3 catalogue for Europe- only. These are still available from some vendors- I bought a pair last year. You could also contact Anders Hellburg in Sweden. Anders has a factory-built Gr-3 club-racer and maintains the DeTomaso Gr-3 Registry. He may even have some spare valve stems! Good luck-

That would be a good permanent solution, trouble is I have just paid £300 to have my wheels painted!

I have had the top hats made and have araldited them in place, if the pull in rubber valve doesn't work I shall try the screw in types.

thanks for all your input Gents.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.