Skip to main content

After many years it is looking like I am not going to be able to complete my Pantera project. What I have is #5972 which was purchased from the previous owner who had done the paint and body work and accumulated most of the parts for reassembly, many of which are upgraded parts and components from the vendors. Basically it is everything needed with the exception of wiring harness (removed because of poor condition) and engine. (The original engine may be still sitting at a shop and might be able to be tracked down). The list of parts is extensive but some of them are (all new) Fluidyne radiator, Koni shocks, painted and annealed 10" & 8" Campis with new T/As mounted, most stainless accessories which were available incl tanks, fuel tank shield, condenser housing, etc etc. Polished ZF with rebuild receipt from Lloyd, new Centerforce clutch & PP, reconditioned fuel tank, new coated Hall big bore exhaust and stock exhaust, many many duplicate, extra oem and NOS parts that I have acquired over the years, all new Wildwood brakes, new carpets, recovered stock seats, new Kirk Evans front bumpers, stock L bumpers, new clutch and brake masters, stainless water tubes, all silicone hoses, many many new fasteners, bracketry, etc etc. I do have a spreadsheet inventory of parts on hand when I acquired the car but have added many parts and sold or traded a few that I thought I would not need. I don't think this project is suited for a total oem restoration, but it could possibly be accomplished. I am going to guess the value parting out could be near $100K. At $60K (I know) I would provide every single part I have, not including the new engine which I would hope to use on another project. I will put together the pictures I have and go over the parts inventory which I will send to interested parties. Email me at dferrato@aol.com.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi,...you need sever broad level of skills on this cars...(at the end ALL vintage cars if you rebuild them from shell, well here much more expensive, i.e my C2 1967 Corvett all 1/3 price).

ranging frome C351 specaillites (good luck we have George P & Team), Gearbox (mainly $$$), body parts, suspention with issues on brake set /calipers, cooling, and...finaly wireing...
well all that I do, but a STEEP LEARNING CURVE FOR AN ENGINEER..and costly.
Better for life is to get a READY car..unless you want to spend 2 years in the garage.. what I do...still happy BUT has to come to an end..!

Matthias

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Chassis_2x
Bosswrench,
I researched my Vin and found #5972 had 5 owners before me.
1st owner - 1974 purchased car new and he lived in Placentia CA
2nd owner - 1976 lived in Santa Ana CA
3rd owner - Trying to track down the specifics of this owner but I believe he lived in San Deigo CA
4th owner - Tony Fasola lives in GA (I spoke to Tony and he has lots of receipts he's going to send me.
Tony spent Thousands of dollars at Dennis' shop Performance Pantera(their top of the line suspension, etc).
5th owner - Dave Ferrato (New Orleans)like you said Husker (in my back yard)

So, it looks like most of my cars life was spent in CA

I was reading that Ford took 20 Pantera's, made in 73 for the 74 model year, and re-documented them to sell in the CA market as 1973 models. My Vin number seems like it might be one of those 20 cars. I wonder how to confirm this?

I also have the Metal stamped Orig Owners Warranty Identification Card - Kinda Cool
I think you can confirm it pretty easy: all 132 U.S. GTS PANTERAS have the unique s/n THGTN0xxxx, so simply look at your serial number and that will tell you. If the letters 'GT' are not part of the stamped serial on the pedal box in the front trunk, on the windshield tag or on your title, your machine is not part of that package. All other Panteras will have a serial that starts with the letters THPN.
quote:
Originally posted by BillT:
How does one verify the re-documentation (74 to 73)?

Bill, I really don't know. You would need to verify the build date to be a 74 model year wich would have started around June 73. More important, you would need to find out if the car's original destination for sale was California. The model year is fairly easy to track by VIN number but I don't know how you could tell if it was originally destined for California without a MARTI report.

Doug M
Rocky,
I'm looking for the drivers door plate, they removed the plates for painting but they are in the stack of parts I'm inventorying.

Doug,
my vin is THPNNA05972
T - DeTomaso
H - Assembled at Modena, Italy
PN - Pantera
N - 1973 (Calendar Year)
A - July
05972 - 5972nd unit built
(do I have the vin break-down accurate?)

I wonder how many units were built for 1973 market?
How do you get a Marti report?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.