Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Detomaso "Isis" Logo Login/Join 
Picture of Chip
posted
Does anyone know why Detomaso chose the Isis logo? Is there any signifigance to it that anyone has ever heard?

I always get questions at shows and just make up something that sounds good.

Any suggestions?

Chip

Posts: 137 | city, state or province, country: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: November 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The theory that this is the symbol for Isis has generally been debunked. From what I've read the symbol was the de Tomaso cattle brand created, I believe, by his uncle.

Posts: 1277 | city, state or province, country: Greensboro, NC | Registered: July 12, 2003Report This Post
"When speed is the only thing that counts"
Picture of garth66
posted Hide Post
The logo, which has come to be known as the "Isis" logo, is thought by some to be an Egyptian hieroglyph for the goddess Isis, which has the same first letter as DeTomaso's mother, Isabel. Well, that's pure fiction. The logo has NOTHING to do with the Egyptian goddess Isis.

The black "T" is the DeTomaso family crest. The DeTomaso family raised cattle in Argentina and it was also their cattle brand. The stylized "T" is placed against the background of the flag of Argentina. It's that simple!

Posts: 1973 | city, state or province, country: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: March 23, 2003Report This Post
Picture of DeTom
posted Hide Post
I dunno, I like the story about aliens creating the Pantera. It was so advanced there is no way mere humans could have come up with it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2915 | city, state or province, country: Jonesborough Tennessee | Registered: April 15, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Chip
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all...now I know "the rest of the story"....

Chip

Posts: 137 | city, state or province, country: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: November 26, 2004Report This Post
PI President
Forum Administrator
posted Hide Post
follow this link to the explanation of the DeTomaso symbol from the DeTomaso factory web site:

http://www.detomaso.it/gb/storia/storia.html

One you get to this page, click on the word "the history" in the left hand column, a menu will drop down, click on the word "the brand" from that menu.

Quote:
"Argentina is the real protagonist of De Tomaso symbol. The flag in the background catches the eye and it has got its own tradition. The strips of the flag symbolize the iron tool used to brand horses in Alejandro's grandmother "estancia".

Ceballos family owned more than 100.000 hectare estate in the province of San Luis, at the foot of the Andes in the center of Argentina. The trademark is strongly connected with the name of the family, owner of the estate and it determines the cattle marked with this symbol.

cowboy from hell

Posts: 6750 | city, state or province, country: Ventura, California, USA | Registered: September 22, 2004Report This Post
Picture of DeTom
posted Hide Post
Did you guys know the DeTomasos grandpa immagrated from Italy to Argentina??? Yep, he was an immagrant what made good.

Posts: 2915 | city, state or province, country: Jonesborough Tennessee | Registered: April 15, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Peter H
posted Hide Post
Denise McCluggage, a famous race car driver and automotive journalist who knew the DeTomasos since the 1950s, wrote a series of two lengthy articles about them for AutoWeek Magazine in 1980. It was reprinted in the PI Magazine of September, 1987. She wrote as follows:

The Logo. That eloquent, stylized T.

That T is called a “branch”, and has a long history. And sure enough, look at it again, it is a branch. It has been in the family for centuries. In each succeeding generation the right to the branch passed to the eldest son.

“But when Argentina became independent of Spain in 1806 that became illegal – all brothers are equal,” Alessandro said. For the past few generations a coin flip has been used to determine which child inherits the branch. The branch was his grandmother’s. Then his mother won. Alessandro beat out his three siblings with the necessary chance turning of a coin in the air.

“I took the branch and put it against the Argentine flag,” he said. And that is the logo – the historic branch against the blue and white of Argentina.

Posts: 580 | city, state or province, country: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: September 10, 2004Report This Post