Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do you know if the original cap is vented?

My cap is ok but the filler neck is badly rusted. I have not found a similar filler neck to bolt on. Planning to have a race style cap that hinges open. Also looking for a place to add a return line for fuel injection.

Once that's all complete I would gladly sell you my original cap.

Slight thread hijack- has anyone found a replacement float/sender for the fuel gauge?
The original cap, like the one shown, is NOT vented. There is a small tube on the upper left corner of the tank that is a vent.

After re-doing my engine I found that under full acceleration in first gear that fuel would go to the back of the tank and stay long enough to blow out of the vent. A small plastic tube originally went from the vent tube to the wheel opening and down to the rocker, held in place with little plastic clips.

I could not find a substitute vented cap and ended up with a vented flip type from a company in Florida. The great thing was that I was able to install it on the existing tank input tube.
I was able to use a big thick "O" ring and some silicone seal/adhesive. I did not even have to change the original carpet.

You have to get the right size, not the big one used on Cobras. If it is too big you will not be able to swing it open all the way due to the rod that goes over it from the roof to the top of the rear wheel. Since it is vented you can use the original vent tube as an inlet for fuel injection. I just sealed mine off with a small blocked rubber tube and some silicon sealer/adhesive.

DICK RUZZIN
PS, This is an aItalian car chicken and egg story:
IN ITALY, Which came first, the flip top grated cheese cup or the flip style gas cap?
DR
Here is the sender after rebuild...it looks very much like Fiat/Ferrari of the 70s. Mine was in rough shape (the rheostat was broken...and was very difficult to solder) but came back in very great shape (at a price that probably doesn't make conversion of a standard type worthwhile). If only your float is bad, then these appear to be common...Lee

Attachments

Images (1)
  • float
Denis was generous and landed me with a NOS cap...but for anybody someday curious, it's pretty clear that the gas cap came from 60's Benelli Barracuda...maybe part number 4122/A. The design language for the steering dampener knob matches the fuel filler cap, later 60's Benelli (metal) caps shows the common design...See the Benelli cap dimension here (not vented)....

Attachments

Images (1)
  • benelli_gas_cap

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.