Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is your alternator the same Bosch used on the other geese? I know you've got the GM engine.

I just had an issue resolved that was almost the opposite, dash light would NOT go off even with the ignition off. Turned out to be a small piece of solder on a diode in the alternator that the shop TWICE missed.

Also check the ground to the gauge, if that's not good the light won't work. if it's good then I'd proceed with checking the other end of that wire to the light. is it black/white? should go to the voltage regulator if I'm not mistaken.

I've only got a few pictures of your goose (8MA670?) and none of them show the engine bay in detail.

MH
Thanks, MH, good suggestions.
It worked fine before the altrnator gave upthe ghost last fall and I had it rebuilt. The shop said that the light power comes from inside the alternator, i tested the bulb and it works. It has an internal regulator, it is what is called the "single wire" alternator. It could be one of the wiring connections to the clip that plugs into the alternator. I soldered that together that about ten years ago.
Thanks, Dick Ruzzin.
Looks like a GM Delco-Remy 10SI

if it is then you've got a connector under that foil.

Scroll waaaaaaay down this page for more info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/...avista/Wiring/Part2/

terminal #1 would be wired to the light in series with the ignition switch.

one last thought. when I was going through this I learned that the wire to the light had power going from the ignition switch to the bulb whenever the key was on, if the alternator WAS NOT producing voltage, then it produced a ground (one way diode) and the light came on. if it WAS producing voltage then the two +12v's cancelled each other out and the light went off.

Odd I know, but that's they way it works... of course your's is the exception to many of the rules. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

MH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_6695m_400

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.