Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dick,

A couple of years ago I had work done on my ZF by Lloyd. When I picked it up I quizzed him to some extent on the proper gear oil to be used.

While some have posted here that Lloyd has specifically recommended one oil, my take away from our talk was that any quality gear oil, changed annually, will provide the lubrication protection that our transaxles require.

Not so critical in regards to the type, but that regular changing is what Lloyd was recommending.

I realize you are asking about additives but as this topic continually comes up I like to share the simple solution offered by Lloyd.

Larry
In most cases, the 'additives' are only slip-agents to alleviate chatter in clutch-type LSDs. Lloyd says they don't hurt and may help some ZFs. Chatter is noticable stick/slip in turns, most prevalent on wet or other low-traction surfaces. Many 80W90 diff-lubes already have the right amount mixed in.

If your LSD clutches are badly worn, there will be no chatter. The clutches are easy to check: GM's quick method was to wet down a concrete floor and lay a 2X4 in front of one rear tire. If the car could climb the 2X4 from a dead stop, the LSD clutches were considered usable. There are more precise checks involving a torque wrench on a wheel stud, specific to some LSDs.
Dick,

The 80W-90W (Valvoline) multi viscosity oil that is sold at most parts stores should be perfect for the ZF. It has additives to exist with clutches BUT it doesn't have limited slip additives!

No reason to add an oil cooler to a Goose. No one gets to autobahn speeds over here!

I've driven to Phoenix and back and ZF stays nice and cool, about 180 at most, probably due to temp xfer from engine.

OVERFILLING GOOSE TRANS WILL CAUSE IT TO OVERHEAT!!! DO NOT USE THE SIDE HOLE AS A REFERENCE FOR FILLING!!!!!! (Don't listen to Pantera owners who don't know Jack Shitkowski! Their ZF's require different amount than the Goose!) Smiler)))

However, based upon MY experience, do not put the additives in.

I added some synthetic lube for clutches (because I do it for all my Ford rearends....) and due to a funky front seal, AND over filling it just a tad (ZF in Goose is touchy to level!)...I had fluid contaminate my expensive Kevlar (like) clutch linings and I didn't go so fast any longer.....! Was like driving an automatic transmission!!!! SLIIIIIPPPPPP!!!! This little slip up (HAH!) cost me an expensive clutch disc....and a tear down to install a new one! UGH!

I marked up an old engine oil dipstick accordingly to use to check ZF level.

It is important to keep oil level right at lower edge of mainshaft, where it exits trans at front seal. Over filling can lead to leaks when sitting......if the front seal is a bit dodgy!

More pic's to follow.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 101_5359_(Large)
Check oil via top vent hole like so... If you go to the outside edge, you can hit a point where the case starts curving upwards and could give you a funky level!

(If you use a deep 15/16" socket (or box wrench) you will not fudge up the hex on the vent plug. Short sockets won't generally fit snug to the bottom of the hex.)

So stay to the inside, as vertical as possible when measuring!

Steve

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 101_5356_(Large)
Steve said-
quote:
OVERFILLING GOOSE TRANS WILL CAUSE IT TO OVERHEAT!!! DO NOT USE THE SIDE HOLE AS A REFERENCE FOR FILLING!!!!!! (Don't listen to Pantera owners who don't know Jack Shitkowski! Their ZF's require different amount (of 80W90) than the Goose!)

Quite true- Mangusta (dash-1 or dash-1.5) diff- cases are physically smaller than the dash-2 Pantera cases, so the volume is less. They weigh less, too and the clutch release cross-shaft is shorter. Don't most 'Goose transmission cases have a dipstick hole in the top near the rear (not the top cover shown)?
Jack,

Yes, the -1 case has the hole mid side case. To muck up the waters WORSE(!!!!) DeT installed the Pantera style dipstick thingy in the side!!!

When filled to what that particular dipstick would indicate.....you're about a gallon of lube too much and will COOK the trans....

Ask our events director about that one! Some well meaning Pantera experts helped him out at Concourso or Monterey 2016 by telling him that he needed to fill it up until oil came out of that side hole...... He made it about 75-85 miles towards home, but his ZF was acting up, was smokin hot...so he went the final 20 or so on a flatbed!

Look at picture...where dipstick fits into hole on side....then far to right, you can just make out where main shaft is, about 2.5" lower than the hole!!!! Filling ALL of that up with oil is a bad bad thing.....!

Apparently Lloyd has a bucket/box full of these stupid devices.....probably off of every -1 that he's ever worked on!!!

The stock -1 dipstick was actually a rod that extended off of the vent tube assembly that screws in the top!

If you examine the ZF manual for a -1, you will see a crude drawing/picture/representation of the thing! Why our -1's don't come with it???? Who knows....

Steve

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 100_2231
Now I am confused on the fill level. I have always drained it, taken the top vent fill plug out and removed the side plug. Then I put gear oil in until it started coming out of the side plug. I stopped and put the side plug back in as well as the top fill plug.

As I recall that puts the fluid about half way up the axles. I was told that was the right way to do it. Herb Grass used to fill his up all the way, I don't know it there were any repercussions to doing that.

DICK RUZZIN

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.