Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carello Tail lights Login/Join 
posted
Hi all. Has anyone any experience with replacing tail lights. I was going to refurbish mine but they are probably just that little bit far gone with some obvious distortion particularly on the lower edge due to heat. I contacted Mr Fiat and the replacements he has are copies but not Carello exact. Perhaps I could use his internals and my lenses?
Thanks for any input.

Posts: 36 | city, state or province, country: Sydney aust | Registered: June 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lousbby
posted Hide Post
E-bay or some of the vendors like P.I. Motorsports, Panteras by Wilkinson, Hall Pantera, Precision Performance. These vendors are all in So California.

Posts: 93 | city, state or province, country: Whittier | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caretaker of 8MA1244
'70 Euro Mangusta

DRIVE THEM, THEY WERE MEANT TO BE DRIVEN, IF YOU WANT TO LOOK AT ONE, BUY A POSTER!

Picture of Denis C
posted Hide Post
How are the lights damaged by heat.... Sorta strange as they are instaled inside a metal frame. Plastic can be rechromed, or you can use some as instaled on other models as they are the same as Fiat124 spyder and Miura. caution IIRC the euro type and USA type have different lenses and also have different interior separation.

Posts: 761 | city, state or province, country: Ottawa, Ontario | Registered: July 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Johnny Woods
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I intended to send you some pics last week. I was writing to you while having an argument with my girlfriend, she switched the computer off at the wall while I was writing so it got lost!

These Fiat Carello lamps where only ever painted silver when new never chrome. I use 3M aluminium tape to brighten them up, it makes a huge difference. I use a Dremel wire wheel on the bulb holders to clean them up. If they are really bad I replace the bulb holders. You can find various different ones on ebay, they are time consuming to fit. You can make new gaskets out of self adhesive neoprene.

I polish the lenses with a small air powered 3" orbital polisher and 3M Finesse-it compound. This is not intended to be an advert for 3M!

Johnny

Posts: 763 | city, state or province, country: England | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Johnny Woods
posted Hide Post
Before and after. Both lenses have been polished at this stage however.

Posts: 763 | city, state or province, country: England | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Johnny Woods
posted Hide Post
Gasket

Picture of Johnny Woods
posted Hide Post

"Racing is Life, anything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Picture of Joules
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

Another great project...

I used a rattle can chrome paint on some GP4 light buckets and they turned out well too. I have also been using vinyl on a wrap project recently and thought the thicker reflective style vinyl might be good for the job too, the advantage being it conforms to shape with heat gun. I don't know how much heat the regular bulbs put out, but I'm switching to all LED anyway.

Julian

Posts: 2471 | city, state or province, country: Reno, NV | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input. The deformation I spoke of is both lights appear slightly deformed upwards in the middle of the bottom edge of the frame plastic due to the heat from the light I assume. I am out of town for a week or so and have no reference shots to post. Johnny great work and I will look further into refurbishing the lights to the standard I require. I am aware that the lights are also used on Fiat 850 Spyder 1966-69 and the Miura and will look into sources for replacements if required.

Posts: 36 | city, state or province, country: Sydney aust | Registered: June 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lousbby
posted Hide Post
http://www.classicalfa.com/cat...s/105-Saloon-Lights/

Above is a link I found that may be helpful if you want to buy new ones?

Posts: 93 | city, state or province, country: Whittier | Registered: May 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post