Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

In my case there were brass fittings which needed disassembly before the tank would lift out, since they protruded through an opening in the car. Once those were out of the way, it was pretty straight forward.
Currently I'm looking for a suitable location to mount a fuel filter. Line routing is tricky with the header being nearby.
How did you get to the brass fittings? from underneath?

My fuel line runs to the right rear to an electric fuel pump. runs up high well above the headers...

I mounted fuel filter in the vertical transition between the pump and the pressure regulator.

Everything is covered in heat shielding, but the filter is clear with a white screen if that helps.

MH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20180505_001032
It appears the fuel filter is a filter element contained within a glass tube. These filters have been around for decades and are just as dangerous now as they always have been. Which is to say, take it off your car now unless you enjoy seeing flames in the rearview mirror.

Despite the wonderful Amazon reviews, which by the way are highly contaminated with paid reviews through third party outfits, can you seriously believe breakable glass to be a good thing for a flammable fuel system?

As for the two rubber hoses in the photo you found, to me they appear to be spark plug wires and boots.

BTW, I once used one of those glass tube filters. I'm now a little bit wiser than I was then.

Larry
The tube is actually a hard plastic, but point taken... I'll replace it, some things just aren't worth taking a chance on.

I'll put the goose up on stands and see if I can get to the lines from underneath, the leak isn't bad, but it's a bad place for any kind of leak. (not that there's a good place for a fuel leak).

MH
quote:
It appears the fuel filter is a filter element contained within a glass tube. These filters have been around for decades and are just as dangerous now as they always have been. Which is to say, take it off your car now unless you enjoy seeing flames in the rearview mirror.

Despite the wonderful Amazon reviews, which by the way are highly contaminated with paid reviews through third party outfits, can you seriously believe breakable glass to be a good thing for a flammable fuel system?

AGREED!!!

I had one of those attractive filters on my 66 Mustang, until it caused an engine fire! Pantera people had warned me of their dangers and told stories of Panteras that burned to the ground because the filters supposedly unscrew themselves and spray gas all over which catches fire, but I didn't believe it was possible - It's affixed to hoses on each end and can't possibly unscrew itself I thought. That is, until it happened to me! Those screw together filters will vibrate loose over time, and that's all it takes, just a little loosening, then they'll spray gas all over your engine compartment from the fuel pressure, and the distributor is right there ready to ignite the fumes!
The previous owner was chasing a vapor lock issue so he covered everything in heat shielding, moved as much as he could as far as he could from heat sources and used a Holley Red pump. That took care of the vapor lock issue.

I just replaced the Red pump with a Blue pump & regulator combo. and of course the filter now in question.

MH
quote:
Originally posted by SciFi:
M!ke H. I believe the two hoses under my tank were related to AirConditioning. In your photo they look like loose spark plug wires.

RUN from that filter. I have the exact same one on my car and it's leaking. I bought it because it had universal sized ends but it turned out to be a mistake.

I like your fuel pump location, never thought about going that far back.

I'm cobbling together a new system out of Fore products (https://www.foreinnovations.com/)

Thanks
ended up having to remove the lower rear trailing arm to get a wrench in there, but I managed to tighten it up considerably. I cleaned the area as best as I could, will check it again in a few days to see if it's still leaking.

if it's still leaking then I at least have an idea of how to get the tank out.

DAMN that's a tight area to work in!!

MH
Well, it still leaked. Turned out pulling the fuel tank wasn't that bad. the top portion is all pretty obvious, but to pull the tank out you must disconnect it from the steel fuel line... getting the brass fitting off to separate the fuel line from the tank was a challenge.

My sequence (which worked) was to lift the rear of car, remove right rear wheel, put a jackstand under the right rear suspension and lower the car a bit to effectively raise the right rear suspension. This took the load off the trailing arm which enabled me to remove it... 19mm bolt/nut on each end. putting a droplight down from the right front of the engine helped (not that you can see much). I question the originality of mine since the connector was a 9/16" SAE.

I redid the connection and got her all back together and running in around 2 hours start to finish... wasn't as bad as I expected... 12 hours later not a drop to be found.

it was tough to get a picture of the connection, but using the timer and taking dozens to pics eventually landed one clear shot.

I've also replaced the fuel filter with a Fram G12 clear sealed filter.

MH

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20180511_001805s
I suspected as much since the nut on it is SAE instead of metric. Does yours have a hose barb (nipple)on the tank? mine is a threaded male connection, the steel line has a brass compression fitting on it.

on mine the steel fuel line runs from the tank, under the heat shield plate to the upper edge of the right side "firewall", then runs to the right rear to the electric fuel pump, then back to the front of the ZF, crosses over the ZF support behind the alternator turns toward the engine between the alternator & A/C compressor to the carb feed.

I've never worked on another goose, so this is my sole reference.

MH
Mike, yes, mine has a barbed nipple on it, as I remember was an NPT thread (just maybe 7/16 NPT fuel barb...). The rubber fuel line is rather unceremoniously draped to the fuel pump on the other side.
I installed the rubber line first on the tank and then installed the tank, to at least avoid the trouble working thru the access of the firewall. Getting to the fuel pump is definitely easier...Lee
If I may quote Nobel Laureate Peter Higgs after the 2013 validation of the existence of Higgs-Boson "God" particle @ the CERN Large Hadron Collider.

"Well Howdy, would you look at that..."

(or was that Buddy Epson as Jed Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies? I always mix those two up)

Either way, I learned something...

Thanks... now to search for a Fuel Line Nipple... Amazon here I come!!!

MH

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.