Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If it is a -1 (or what is known as a -1.5 that had some intermediary changes) from a Mangusta then it would not have a reverse light and the 'lower' case bolts are actually the upper as the Mangusta mounting is the same as the GT40 and those bolts used for mounting, so may be loose after removal.
Guys, read the ad... It says it was pulled out of a Pantera under warranty with 850 miles on the clock. Turns out the noise that caused the removal was a wheel bearing... According to the seller... My only point is it isn't necessary to debate what it came out of as the seller clearly states it was a Pantera...
quote:
Originally posted by JFB #05177:
to me the interesting aspect is the gear ratios, top of ~130MPH.

would be nice to have as a switch out

I think these ratios are what originally were envisioned for the Pantera? Ford had a big concern with the durability of this design. After all, they were the ones that had to guaranty the car.

The ratios we see in the -2 are what Ford compromised on.

I'm not sure if in reality on a US street driven car if anyone needs to worry about only 130mph top speed. It might not even be a major issue on the Autobahn in Germany either?

Just because the car can go 195mph doesn't mean that the driver is capable of that?

I personally would prefer the 2.42 first gear in this rather then the 2.20 first gear.

If this car were being produced today it probably would be a 6 speed with around a 3.25 first gear ratio.

6th gear would just have a lower overdrive ratio, somewhere in the .5 to .6 area depending on the power the engine could make with that kind of an overdrive?

It might need some kind of a supercharger to energize that kind of ratio in 6th? A turbo could easily handle that but a turbo is really not a constant pressurizing device because of the heat build up.

I have one in our Audi TT that blows 27psi. That is not a sustainable boost to run in something like "The Silverstate". I think it would melt the engine down pretty well. It is more of a "temporary" device like a shot of nitrous oxide is. In fact, the nitrous' gives pretty much the same effect.

The entire unit can be seen glowing in the dark and has been known to blow off the induction hoses.

All said, this ZF is the first of it's kind that I have seen and yes, I do find the gear ratios a little strange, i.e., not what I would expect to see.
Well Doug, I do think, that 130 mph are an issue on german Autobahns, because once the Autobahn is free or there is little traffic, a lot of people go almoust flat out.

You are allowed to do 65mph in US, most people are just not used to do 150mph so they think it is kinda dangerous or hard to handle. It is just because your politicans, these jokes of clowns, tell you.

Honestly, if someone else goes 65mph on an Autobahn and I sit next to hime, I open the door (often did that) and say "Why do we stop?". Wink

Not all, not the Tesla guysif they want to reach the next exit, not the green guys, that don't want to kill flowers with the exhaust, not the millenials, because they watch Ariana Grande on the cell phone while driving, but common people do hammer down the road, hell why not.

It is not a big deal to do 195 mph on an open straight line. On a racetrack most people would not be able to handle that kind of speed but going straight.
I've done that first time, going 300km/h, back in 1997 in a 1984 Ruf 930 Turbo.

To anyone: If you are en experienced driver, after 10 or 20 years and you are not able to go beyond 130 and have the feeling you can't handle it, just give your license back and buy a horse. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.