Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by JFB #05177:
same thoughts...
question, is there a "gauge" that can tell if there is bondo skin? something more exact than a magnet and "feel"

Yes, digital paint gauges measure the thickness in the paint. Bondo shows up quickly, as does inconsistencies in panel paint thickness (shows if a panel was repainted).
Those gauges should have a limited use to just basically inform the "inspector" of the history of a car.

Frankly, if some one was going to attempt to use that tool as a negotiating tool with me, I'll show you the door. You are hereby now informed that you are trespassing. Go harass someone else

If there is a ripple in a door skin with filler, a ding in a quarter panel with filler, lead through a skin hole, or even a repaint over something else, there is NO justification to make a blanket statement that those were not correct or proper repairs.

You might say to me, "then I'm not buying your car"? I'm going to say "it doesn't matter because I'm not selling it to a douche like you anyway. Get lost."

Just sayin'. Nothin' personal. Wink
I have a digital paint thickness gauge, if Doug won't let me use it to check the integrity of a car I'll assume he's got no integrity and walk away before he could throw me out! I'm not going to drop $50K or more on a car I cannot inspect thoroughly.

With some of these lesser car advertising sites you have to be wary of the scam artists again, although this one does seem to link to a genuine car lot, but it does not show in their current inventory. I do recall seeing it advertised some time ago.....

Here it is, sold on eBay through PI Motorsports for a 'best offer' after advertised at $75K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-D...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Julian
Well u know what is said about "assuming"? Right?

I'm not sure my bouncer would let you through the door anyway? I'd have to ask him?

It isn't so much about what I'd do at all.

All law inforcement officers in the US automatically expect everyone to well armed. Doesn't matter if that is legal or illegal.

The reason is that segment of the population often will shoot first and ask questions later.

I am not so prone. So it really should be considered just a caution.

Not everyone here is a liberal? Some don't even give you the opportunity to run?

No matter anyway. I doubt you and I would be on any level able to do business between us anyway but maybe I'm wrong? I'll leave the door open on that one. Big Grin
About the paint thickness and bondo, we all like to buy a virgin so to speak, not a single dent in 40 years. They're rare. And I agree with PanteraDoug (maybe a 1st!) that a little bondo here and there is ok if the body man doing it was doing a good job. When I painted my Pantera there were maybe a square foot real bondo and also a thin layer of spray bondo over the rest since the paint was grinded off. It's unavoidable, and the factory did the same. I've heard Pantera owners claim that their Pantera had no bondo at all when they removed the paint, that's just ballony, steel is not so perfect in shape.

So I would use such a tool to try to find bad repairs, but if I found some bondo and maybe could see/feel from the inside that it was just a dent repair or a good rust repair, max 3mm thick maybe, I would not walk away.
Shocking. "Dogs and cats lying down together"? Smiler

My point is, 1) that device is likely to be misused for the purpose of negotiating down the price of the vehicle 2)there is "interpretation" of the results involved.

I'm not against it's use, it's kind of like using a thermometer in diagnosing a fever. There is more to it then just that.
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
No matter anyway. I doubt you and I would be on any level able to do business between us anyway but maybe I'm wrong? I'll leave the door open on that one. Big Grin

Doug,

I have nothing against you, we are all here as we have a common bond in the Pantera. A forum can be a pretty impersonal place, people often don't get my humor as there's no facial expression or body language to accompany it, but all the De Tomaso centric folks I have actually met in real life I have gotten along with.
Agreed. Tone is often difficult to portray for me at least in the written word.

I was born in deep do-do, I live that way. For sure I will pass that way.

Some simply take my sarcasm too personally? I generally just spray it around without too much concern and let the chips fall where they may?

In my experience it generally doesn't matter.

Generally speaking, I blame it on genetic deformity. It's as good an explanation as any?

At least I'm consistent? Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Borruso:
OK guys... just called them, as they are only an hour from me. The car is "fake news". It doesn't exist...was likely a DNC ploy of some sort.

Did you ever see the movie, "Guide for the married man"?

One of the "chapters" is called, "deny, deny, deny". That is what Robert Morse advises Walter Matthau to do if he gets caught cheating.

If one denies enthusiastically enough people tend to believe you, maybe even vote for you and make you the President I suppose?

When the s hit hits the fan in the film, Morse is handcuffed and taken away which Matthau witnesses.

As far as what could happen to a President, probably his supporters would continue to chant, lock her up as their champion gets put in cuffs, completely oblivious to that, but not an unexpected reaction from what obviously is a support group of mega numb nuts? It probably will make a good film eventually though? At least a TV mini series?
Truth is often stranger then fiction.

Of course in reality you must change the names to protect the guilty. Those supporters would never suspect?
quote:
Originally posted by JFB #05177:
another email...
the car is in Europe and too expensive for owner to register so he wants to sell cheap and FAST.

guarantees car would be at my home in 20 days and would not have to pay a dime till after 2 inspection

So what are you going to do with all these Panteras? Are you trying to corner the market?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.