Skip to main content

A recent update to a Vallelunga entry reminds me to point out a logo change.

For those that don't know, the DeTomaso logo changed while under the DeTomaso family management.
On the Vallalunga and Mangusta the blue + white background started out horizontal.
Emblems affected included the wheel centers, gauge logos, steering wheel center, stick-shift knob (and more) and brochures.
See the attached photos showing the gauge cluster and steering wheel as see from Vallelunga 115.

Chuck

Attachments

Images (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Chuck, we were recently discussing this with Roger Brotton of the DTDC UK, he has been restoring a vallelunga and stated the same facts that he thought the early Mangusta’s had these logos. He is in the process of having them re-manufactured. If I am correct the wheel centres were enamel painted and made of brass? Richard.
The original orientation of the stripes duplicates the flag of Argentina. I've always been mildly curious why the orientation of the stripes was changed.

Denise McCluggage (a founding editor of Autoweek magazine) wrote a charming story about Alessandro De Tomaso published in two parts, October 13 & October 20, 1986, titled "Never on Tuesday". She had been friends with the De Tomasos since the 1950s, they all raced sports cars together. In her story she describes how Alessandro explained the origins of the DeTomaso logo to her.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Arg_Flag_1861
Last edited by George P

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.