Skip to main content

Featured Member: Garth Rodericks
Garth (display name garth66) and Leslie Rodericks are posed with their 1972 Pantera, chassis 4033. The picture was taken at the Ironstone Conours in Murphys, California where their Pantera was awarded "Best in Class". Their Pantera was featured in the movie "Banzai Runner" (1987).

Welcome

Visitors and members are welcomed to the meeting place of the internet's oldest, largest and most active community of owners and enthusiasts of classic De Tomaso automobiles. If you are an owner or an enthusiast of any classic De Tomaso automobile our club (established in 1973) and this collection of forums (established in 2000) were founded for your benefit.

If you are a visitor we invite you to join ... membership is FREE.

Join the Club and Forums | Member Log-In | Web Site Home

Newest Content (Recent Posts)

Trying to get my ignition buzzer working. It's the bottom element in the drawing below. It doesn't work right now, but I verified the "buzzer element" operates properly (buzzes if 12V is applied). Can someone explain how the circuit is designed to work? 1) Does it only come on when the door is opened, and the key is on? 2) Does it shut off if the engine is running and the door is open? I was under the impression that it buzzed when the ignition was turned on, and the engine was NOT running...Read More...
Last Reply By rocky · First Unread Post
At the fist glance my cooling system looked pretty good… just peeking under the car with the flashlight when I bought the car… nice silver coolant tubes running along the bottom of the car… stainless steel already? - great! Radiator from the front and top.. black.. all straight!! Cool!! BUT: starting to tackle my electric issues I unbolted the inner fender off the right front fender facing the front … and what I saw was not pretty: the area on the bottom right of the radiator is green -...Read More...
Last Reply By jwelch68 · First Unread Post
I bought a Master Tailgaters digital mirror system and am very disappointed in the image quality, even after trying three different cameras. The marketing materials show clear images, yet I get distortion and a low res image. Wiring the system was difficult as the plug at the mirror is huge and does not easily feed through small apertures. Now they tell me that the system I bought is not HD. Have any of you installed a system that you are satisfied with? Wireless would be preferred, but some...Read More...
Last Reply By davidnunn · First Unread Post
The projects going on at this point is the cooling system (thread: Cooling system - blow to suck) and this thread about the heater core…(will see about the A/C) because I know there are several things, little bits and pieces I do not anticipate at this point, but I’m sure I will need, I decided to moved the car on Friday with a flatbed truck to PIM! Alternatively I would be driving there each time getting parts or ordering them which would add a lot of time ! So, Monday I be going to work at...Read More...
Last Reply By jwelch68 · First Unread Post
“ some say, I know two facts about DeTomaso Pantera Powersteering - and both are wrong” (I’m sure a few of you know where this came from… Lol) i’m using my C7 Corvette (which will be substituted by the Pantera) as a daily driver, getting groceries running errands, bringing children to school and picking them up! Now, for all of you who do the same “job” you know how packed the parking lot at the grocery store can be or all the perfect driving parents (soccer moms ) at the school just try to...Read More...
Last Reply By LeMans850i · First Unread Post
Page
I am the proud owner now for 4 months of a 10/72 build Pantera! (I did plan to tear into the car the moment it gets into my garage… I always do that! ) I drove this car, a whopping 1 mile since I bought it… its pretty looking but not perfect, the standard yellow cat like you see on all the pictures like any yellow cat…You really can’t tell them apart… unless you start getting closer… looking under, inside the cab, the frunk, the engine compartment and suddenly there are differences! Setting...Read More...
Last Reply By LeMans850i · First Unread Post

Pantera # 5357 - Rocky's 1973 L model

rocky
I have been threatening to do a write-up on my build for a while. I see all these great threads, for example the ones by Rob B., Kirk Evans, and and others detailing extensive, very high quality work being done to their cars. My skills are not as tremendous, but I have the help and assistance of a an expert Pantera enthusiast and Hot Rodder (Wade - 4280 / Mark IV) and the resources of this board. My project started as a new motor build, with upgraded performance goals. I wanted to "freshen...Read More...
Page
Looking for thoughts on a valve seat failure and a recommendation for an engine builder/ machine shop in Orange County, CA. After sitting for 10+ years I finally fired up my engine a few weeks ago. It sounded good for 10 minutes then I had a bad clatter in the valve train. At first it appeared to be a loose rocker but there was weird interaction with the valves of cylinder #4. I popped the head off and found that the exhaust seat had come loose! While dancing around, the seat also made some...Read More...
Last Reply By panteradoug · First Unread Post

History of chassis 02778

Fuzz
I have owned a 1972 Pantera since 2015 and am trying to find information on its history. VIN is THPNMR02778, so I know it was produced in February of 1972. I tried obtaining a deluxe Marti Report on it; however, the good folks over there told me my car was initially sold to the overseas market and later imported to the US by an owner. That is as much as they could tell me, as they apparently can provide information only on Pantera cars that were imported and sold here by Ford through the...Read More...
Last Reply By Fuzz · First Unread Post

Chapter 19 'They Thought I was Dead'

marlinjack
...4:30AM Sunday Morning. Wide awake, Tennitis is Killing Me, the wife is Snoring and Very Bad, unforgettable Memories from the Past...Time to write This Chapter! Yes! I've already had years of therapy...it didn't Help!! ...This Memoir must first start, December 1969. Ft. Lewis Washington. ARMY Basic Training. We only received 1/2 Day of Sunshine a Week, from November to the End of Training and Graduation to AIT, in February. It was Miserable. In training, in the afternoon, we are practicing...Read More...
Last Reply By marlinjack · First Unread Post

CHASSIS BRACE KITS

I'm looking to increase the rigidity of my chassis before getting a wheel alignment on my 72 at the same time that I am cutting out the fixed chassis brace under the oil pan. Before starting from scratch does anyone have any kits still available or info on what is really necessary as far as front, middle and rear braces. Spirited road driving not racing. I've read every post that is up but as most of the kits seem to have been available 20 or so years ago the info seems to be a bit light on.Read More...
Last Reply By bosswrench · First Unread Post

Holley Sniper EFI install

Hi all fellow Pantera owners. :-) I wanted to create a common thread for all who has or are going to install Holley Sniper EFI. Thinking we can help each other and share experiences. I'm going to install Sniper next week in my Pantera from 1974, at least that's the plan. My car - when I bought it - had a Holley racing modified carburetor, which constantly challenging me while driving. Often it would stall and be difficult to re-start. So now going for trying the Sniper when I anyway had to...Read More...
Last Reply By bryske · First Unread Post

Headlight bucket & bracket alignment

trstno1
I have a question on what is the proper level the headlight bucket should be at. My car has the passenger side bucket over an inch lower than the fender when up. The bracket had been cut & rewelded to the headlight bar before, but not aligned poperly when installed. Not enough adjustment on the up limit switch to move it up enough. I see some cars have them flush to the headlight opening lip when up & others are slightly below, but they still look to clear the opening. My drivers...Read More...
Last Reply By simon · First Unread Post

howling noise

I have replaced nearly all parts of the engine in the last years. include cooling system, water pump etc. Last replace were the bearing of the rear wheels. we hear sometimes at a certain speed a howling noise, which come up and disapear again. It happens once, (standing and not driving) that I turned of the engine and it was heard 2-3 sec. after turning off the engine. So, I think it may by caused by the cooling system, expansion or pressure barrel vessel. any idea what could cause the noise...Read More...
I’ve rebuilt literally the entire coolant system of my fathers mostly original 74’ GTS and the good news is that I now have the overheating issues fixed, and the car is running extremely strong! My last remaining issue is that my water temperature gauge will occasionally spike to 260 but I know the car is not overheating. Based on discussions with john Hass and in reading other forum posts, I am mostly certain it is an electrical issue. I know the stock dash grounding location is extremely...Read More...

EURO Auto Festival 2024 - Greenville, SC

bah
Show date just announced - Saturday, October 19, 2024. This years featured marque is "The Original Hybrids". Event poster features a Pantera (see attached). It's a 3-hour drive for me. Last year instructed GPS to avoid interstates and had some great 2-lane roads. There were 3 Panteras (all red) in attendance last year. Whos going? We've never been a featured marque before. Would be awesome to have a great turnout.Read More...

Tire size

I have a 71 Detomaso Pantera that has the fenders rolled. I’m looking to purchase a new set of tires for the 17 inch Campy clones. I like the Michelin PS-2s but they no longer sell the 245x40x17 inch tires for the front they are selling 255x40x17 inch tires now has anyone used these for the front. I’m getting a lot of Pros & Cons. I have ride height adjustable shocks, any input would be greatly appreciated thank you JohnRead More...