Skip to main content

Let me start this off by saying I am not an expert.

I was over my friend's place this weekend. He has a 5.0 in a Ford GT. The intake he called a roadrunner intake - I am not sure what that is - but he flipped it 180 degress. The only issue is that there are 2 bosses for electrical wire harness hold downs. He said it was easy to modify those with a small grinder.

He also mentioned that the motor is SLIGHTLY narrower then a 4.6L. I believe he said 760mm across at the widest point.

Just the messenger.
Fabulous! Thanks Pantera2077 for a little more info. Any chance he or you took some pictures? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Why, may I ask, did he put the 5.0 in his GT (which had an awesome dry-sump supercharged 5.4 in the first place), or was it a GT40 kit car?

I am excited to call my contact tomorrow- I believe he may have finally took some measurements for this over the weekend.

I also looked into the cost of the crate motor, shipped here at Westland Ford, a local dealer that also sells Ford Racing parts. It appears reasonable, but I'm also going to look for salvage motors.

I am tempted to go talk to a Ford dealer and see if they won't let me take some quick measurements with a tape measure. I'll probably go back to the same dealer since they sell the parts and will understand.
Sorry, no pics.
He already has one Ford GT that he put back together. He is building a car from scratch. Please understand that this effort is NOT a kit. Scratch means flat pieces of steel. Finally, he is restoring an original GT40 as well for a museum.

I am not sure what he is doing with this one. It too was a wreck and he is putting it back together. His work is amazing.

One of the online places had an engine assembly for $6100.

Have you thought about any issues with the oil pan and clearance there?
As I understand it, the oil pan is almost exactly the same as the 4.6. There are pictures of the oil pans and they are very closely related. The oil level sender is on the opposite side of the 4.6. The Boss 302R oil pan is baffled, so I might look at that. The Boss 302R pan is part #6675-M50BR.

Were there clearance issues on the GT40? Our Panteras might have more clearance than a GT40, but I could be wrong.

760 mm is about 29.9 inches, which is about the same as a 4.6 DOHC modular engine. Overall height and fender clearance seem like bigger issues to me.
Last edited by coreyprice
quote:
Originally posted by pantera2077:
To each his or her own. Modern tech is a Pantera is pretty cool. Some might consider it for fuel economy and drivablility. If you can get at least double the mileage with 444 hp and in a few years gas is equal to where it is in Europe that can be pretty attractive.

I totally agree! We get 19-22 MPG with 480HP! It is way better then what we were getting before....
i totally agree if one consider his Pantera as almost a daily or for great mileage....mine is just a sunday toy , so i fill it up in the morning and drive as i stole it till empty Smiler
for the price of a gastank fuel a week i can't swap the engine ..no ? sure not as long that 351C is running good .... ok, if that one should go down , i would look for a more modern replacement also ... at first tought... but then again we have the "originality" which , sure in Europe, reflects the cars value....
Corey and I have been going back and forth on this topic for several months.

We have both agreed that it would fit.

The vehicle I had measured up was with a BOSS style intake and from what I could determine there would be some significant decklid issues, but I think they could be resolved.

A stock intake should work out well, but maybe some decklid issues.

I think several different kinds of supercharger kits will work out as well. Intake air would be the toughest challenge to make functional and look good.
quote:
What is the Bell-housing bolt pattern on the LS3, is it the same as the earlier 350 Chevy?
Do you have a picture of the front of your engine installed, clearance around the firewall etc?

Hi Tony,

The bolt pattern between the LS3 and the Small Block is the same with the exception of an extra bolt for the small block.

Tons of pictures are available at:

http://s1008.photobucket.com/a...ntera/Z06%20Pantera/

I don't want to hijack the thread so lets start a new thread if you have additional questions.

Take care, Scott
I am the one with the coyote motor in the Pantera that Corey posted a link too. Pantera2077 Tell Jim D hi. I know Jim as I do for Gt stuff too..

Anyways i will post some pics of it all done in the next fews days or next week when i get it out of storage to sell it. By the way the coyote fits the best out of any mod motor i have seen with the least amount of modifications to the chassis.

Dan
A popular Mustang magazine has recently been dyno testing the new 5.0 Coyote. The latest test involved a set of slightly longer duration Comp Cams, ported heads from JPC, new valve springs, long-tube headers, and some tweaks to the computer "tune". They tested the engine with unported heads, ported heads, stock intake, and Boss intake. The ported heads, cams, stock intake, long-tube headers and tune made 545 hp with 475 lb-ft of torque at around 5000 rpm (with over 300 at 3000 rpm). Just the camshaft and long-tube header upgrade made 515 hp. The Boss intake made 575 hp but was down on torque.
We just dropped one of these into our 67 Meteor Rideau 500. We are using a Vipec ECU and are waiting for them to write an algorithm to decode the cam sensor data. For the time being the cams are in their parked position. At park they have a -51 degree overlap. In this position the car made 335hp at the tires. Not bad considering how much gain we will get when we can phase them closer to their +50 degree maximum overlap.
Last edited by panteraturbo
Zombie thread, back from the dead.

Saw a pic of a Coyote motor in a Pantera posted by Pantera Performance in Colorado. Engine bay shot with the motor installed. I wish I they can post a shot of the firewall to see how much the need to cut, if any.

Nice fit from the back though. So, I just saw a supercharged Coyote crate motor from Edelbrock - 700HP & 606 TQ..... Woohoo!!!! Fit that.
Better budget in some money for blown clutches and zf gears but what they hey.

quote:
Originally posted by agustaboy:
Wonder what the weight difference is between it and the cast iron 351C

According to the Ford Racing Parts website, the Coyote weighs in at 444 lbs. And, this is their special of the month:

Local Ford Dealer's Price:$14,120.18
FRP Regular Price:$7,279.00
Sale Price:$6,249.95
You save $7,870.23!
FREE FREIGHT TO YOUR DOOR IN ALL 50 STATES (Incl. HI and AK) AND PUERTO RICO!! (AN $800 Value)

(I sound like salesman)
yeah, that´s my car, 3764..had it for over 20 years, although I was overseas for most of the time. Was going to bring it to Australia, but left hand drive in the world of right hand is quite a hassle (eg try a toll road gate). Lived in Germany, and TUV (the German DOT) wanted to tax me up the whazoo to bring it over (car is not stock), so I have been slowly getting it to where I want it to be, here in the states. The ZF is a shell, only for fitment purposes. Strange engine, as the XS has to be custom tuned, no off the shelf tune available. Looked at stack injectors also, but you lose the variable cam timing when you go that route, and about 45hp, according to the Ford Racing guys.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.