Skip to main content

This one IS valuable information. This is from Ford Documentation. It was taken from a PI News issue in 1977.

I will make sure I find the Volume and Number, and post it here.

Thanks to George for allowing me to post this material.

Rocky

Attachments

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hello Rocky,
very good info too. I was very interested in the Powertrain items 10 and 11.

10 Effort reduction kit fitted from Sept 72. My July 72 euro car had this already fitted, maybe they tested it on Euro models before the USA ones.
11 Clutch issues, after my own problems with the crutch, I wonder if someone could come up with a list of clutch pressure plates spinners and release bearings for different model years?

thanks for posting Pete
10. Our Sept '72 U.S. s/n 4366 production car had the factory effort reduction kit plus the outside fuel filler door plus a few more L changes, but the early 2-pod dash and a left-side wiper park. Don't believe the pubs that list exact change-over s.n's for L model parts. DeTomaso never threw anything away that he could sell....

11. Clutch parts, as you've found, vary too much in thickness etc from suppliers to definitively list, and the space available in a Pantera bellhousing is very limited. Mustang parts simply will not bolt on without rework, generally speaking. To add to the confusion, the clutch spline on early '71 ZFs is 1-1/16"- 10 (GM) while all others are 1-1/8"-10 (Ford). So a late 'spinner' or clutch disc will fit- loosely, on an early ZF but not vice-versa.

There are different series of clutch throwout bearings, too. Assume that EVERYTHING replaced in the clutch area will need adjustment if not rework. This is why we usually direct those needing such parts to a Pantera vendor rather than trying to piece stuff together from god-knows-where. In your case, shipping costs to the UK dictate that you needed to 'reinvent the wheel', so to speak... Ultimately successfully; congratulations.
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:
10. Our Sept '72 U.S. s/n 4366 production car had the factory effort reduction kit plus the outside fuel filler door plus a few more L changes, but the early 2-pod dash and a left-side wiper park.

"left hand park"? Do you mean passenger side park like a '74?

My car, 4460, did not have the external filler neck. Sept '72 production date.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.