Skip to main content

when i don't start my car for a week or two the starter solenoid clicks but will not turn over engine . I installed a button switch with relay on it. If hit the button a few times the starter turns over and engine starts up. Problem is much worse when cool weather sets in.
when the the starter is warm or over the summer the starter works fine. Ithink wire to starter is problem.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • pantera_resized.jpg_50
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had what I thought was a starter problem last week. Turned out to be two problems...my fairly new battery had a dead cell, bought a new battery, hooked it up and still was getting a single click on the starter. Turned out to be the negative battery cable. Cut the cable covering back an inch, and brushed the the copper wire strands with a wire wheel on my drill, cleaned the terminals also. Started right up. I think the cable wouldn’t handle the draw from the starter. Check all cable connections and grounds...
Good luck...
I second pappy, weak ground is often the reason for slow or no starting. But first try having another car, engine running, jump start your battery. If that helps, it's the battery, if not it could be weak ground. If it's the battery and worst when not driven for a while, it could be weak battery or something that drains the current? Interior light? Fancy stereo?
This has been going on for years battery is new
Was thinking the wire to solenoid is bad . I put new alternator in car one wire type , so I have the wire that feed regulator was thinking heavy yellow wire must run up to front of car .I could tap into it and feed solenoid .Any one know where it runs to? If I cross over starter wire to solenoid it cranks over .. no clicking

Attachments

Images (1)
  • in_side_paantera.jpg_70_resized
quote:
Originally posted by pantera74Bills6976:
This has been going on for years battery is new
Was thinking the wire to solenoid is bad . I put new alternator in car one wire type , so I have the wire that feed regulator was thinking heavy yellow wire must run up to front of car .I could tap into it and feed solenoid .Any one know where it runs to? If I cross over starter wire to solenoid it cranks over .. no clicking

Ground cable to the battery where it attaches to the chassis. Change the engine to the chassis ground strap.

The original braided wire strap develops resistance over time. Change it.
the starter sucks easily 100 Amps..at very start moment easly >300 Amps.
Any even samll resitance will reduce the supply at the starter /Solenoide.

R = 0,05 Ohm = > at 100 Amp => 5 Volt!!!! Dead..
well the resistance might only be 0,01..still..

and at Start woow.. R = 0,01 at 300 Amp = > still 3 Volt supply..
check the cable from Bat minus (-) to ground in the front trunk. Re-fix it after cleaning..

The Solenoid fixtures (engine bay) should be copper, well oben the 2/TWO screws at the solenoid (left & right) and clean the stuff..(light abresive), may be also on the starter itself. Same thing..

And Sure ...
quote:
Ground cable to the battery where it attaches to the chassis. Change the engine to the chassis ground strap.

..within the engine bay!

That should work...

Matthias

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.