Skip to main content

Our Panteras use a MK1 Capri turn signal stalk/switch.

It controls turn signals, high-beam headlights, and horn.

HOWEVER,

there is a Capri stalk/switch that ALSO has a "flash to pass" momentary contact switch. A spring-loaded, pull-to-driver function that activates the high-beam headlights.

I want one of those switches.

Capri vendor Team Blitz has used ones available.

I'd rather my money go to a fellow owner than a business.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Larry
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Larry -

I want one of those too... I had two opportunities to "flash" other drivers to warn them of lurking police, but I figured that by the time my headlights went up and down, the car I was trying to warn would have passed me by!

Are you flashing something else, other than your stock headlights?

Or you are only using this function at night?

Thanks -

Chuck
quote:
Are you flashing something else, other than your stock headlights?

Very wise curiosity, Chuck. Wink

Yes, I am installing DRL driving lights and want to be able to flash them. That capri switch is the key component to doing a transparent modification that does not require sticking a little momentary switch somewhere in the cabin.

K.I.S.S.

Larry
The headlight buckets and headlight master are switched separately on the dash, the turn signal headlight function is purely that of a high/low beam switch.

You do ave a good point and the answer depends on how the switch functions. I'd have to check if it has a separate wire or a simple internal contact/override to the high beam wire. The latter would have the high beam headlight also coming on with DRL flash albeit the buckets still down.

That said if one has Daytime Running Lights aren't they on anyway? In which case flashing them is bit mute!
As I do not have a flash to pass switch in hand, I'm unable to confirm the wiring of the switch. However, Simon stated the flash to pass function was used for flashing the Carello driving lights found on the GT5 and GT5S cars. If that is true I surmise the flash to pass action is closing a circuit, probably closing a relay to turn on those lights.

I will be using the output of a voltage-sensing relay module to power the coil on the DRL's power relay.

(The voltage-sensing relay's power source is taken directly from the battery. Thus, when the alternator starts supplying 14.5V to the battery, the module, no longer detecting just the 12V from an at-rest battery, will close it's circuit, sending power to the DRL's power relay coil.

I will use the flash to pass function to interrupt that module signal.

Thus, the highbeam or low beam headlight circuits do not even come into play.

Larry
quote:
That said if one has Daytime Running Lights aren't they on anyway? In which case flashing them is bit mute!

It is the flashing action that gets a slow driver's attention in hopes of having them move out of the way of a faster car.

It is not just turning on the highbeams, something that happens only once and can be easily missed by the slower driver.

Flashing the DRL's on-to-off is just as noticeable as flashing the highbeams from off-to-on. I think flashing 55W driving lights will gain just as much attention as flashing the high beams.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Larry
I have DRLs mounted behind the grill that I have on all the time because I think it makes me more visible to other cars in traffic and intersection situations - reducing the chance for a collision - like for a motorcycle. They are controlled by the bottom switch on the console. I hadn't thought of flashing them by just turning the console switch on/off. I'll use that function now. Thanks for the discussions.
Norm
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
I have Piaa 002 lights in the duct holes of the front chin spoiler.

Personally I doubt that they would have any "flash" effect because of their low location.

FOR ME, I don't see them being effective for this purpose.

As for DRL location, mine are in the upper grill. I don't have a front spoiler. I think they are a lot better than nothing.
Norm

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.