Skip to main content

Just wondering if anyone has done a hidden full roll cage in the passenger compartment? I mean, instead of pipes all over in the passenger compartment, has anyone hidden them (albeit smaller pipes) under the trim pieces, or modified trim pieces.

I would love to see photos if anyone has done such a thing. Any other information concerning who did the work and time spent would be interesting too.

Thanks, Mark
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I doubt anyone has taken on a project like this. The trim pieces are so small on these cars you would not fit anything behind them. A tight fitting exposed cage would probably be less intrusive than trying to make custom panels to fit over the tubing plus the larger tubing would be stronger as well. Just my opinion. Good luck with the project if you take it on. Keep us posted and keep the pics flowing. Its always cool to see people doing new things.

Blaine
Mark:

Your car is the only one I am aware of (although that does not mean it hasn't been done before). I have seen some photos of your roll bar installation underway; very impressive. You are going to have an incredible machine when the project is done!

How did you get your hands on that Ford GT engine and transaxle?
Peter H,

I purchased the Ford GT motor and Ricardo 6 speed transaxle from an outfit in Michigan. They then drop shipped both of these units directly to Steve in Paramount. The reason I went with the Ricardo 6 speed is because of the ease of shifting and the light feel of the clutch -- while still having enough holding power. This thing will shift like butter and still be able to handle the power. I looked into purchasing the RBT 6 speed transaxle, but the cost of the Ricardo was not much more; and the technology and ease of use really trumped RBT's unit, IMHO. The bad part of the Ricardo is the size, not length wise so much as the width. It required Steve to start over in the rear of the car; but man did these guys really shine with a great solution. They did cut the wheelhouse quite a bit at the rear of the engine (being a dry sump engine; it could be dropped down quite a bit over the wet sump cousins). The attachment for the upper control arm was pushed away from the center of the car; and so was the lower control arm. As this was becoming a Group 4 flared car anyway, Steve was able to play with the offset of the custom rims to make everything work together. They also custom manufactured the rear frame of the car. They built this out of rectangular steel rather than built up sheet metal. This would probably be best for a car with a minimum of 550 HP anyway. It was a very elegant solution to a complex problem.

I'll see if I can send a few photos from work on what has been done so far as far as the roll cage. It is not meant for track days though, I know it would be laughed out of the inspection area. The reason it is being done is because of the power of the 5.4L GT motor and what that would do to the body if no structure was installed (i.e. cracking and twisted metal badness). The car has not been run as of yet, but if it runs as good as I am hoping; then sometime in the future I would love to look at installing a Whipple supercharger on this thing. I wanted to install as much structure as possible for any future power increase -- I'll just have to see how this all pans out because I really do not know what I am talking about right now anyway.

I just have to say that the people on this board are the best. From reading old posts for a while this is not really a new concept, but it is true.

Mark
Ron,

The last photos is the stage of the car right now. The firewall is in the same place as it was; just completely redone to include a larger access and stronger pipes. You will also notice vertical rectangular steel supports built into the firewall. Steve Wilkinson is working on getting the car plumbed for fuel lines, engine cooling lines, and intercooler lines so the engine can be hooked up and ran for the first time in the car. This will hopefully happen the next month or so.

The last photo is an interesting one too (with the fuel tank). You can see the depth of the sinking of the engine into the wheel house ahead of the spreader bar. Pretty extreme surgery; but it is turning out better than I expected.

The front of the motor of the Ford GT is shorter than the 351 motors; so the engine fits nicely with the exception of the wheel houses. This 5.4L dry sump engine can really be sunk down into the car -- a huge advantage for handling; even though it will be a Gran Turismo and not a track car.

Mark
Link copied to your clipboard.