New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deck Lid frame - skin gap Login/Join 
I really DO need a bigger hammer!
Picture of UFO-LOW
posted
Advice needed; what kind of material should I use to fill the gap between the decklid frame and skin?

Posts: 102 | city, state or province, country: Fort Meade, Florida | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I don't know what he used, but when 2511 was restored for a previous owner, Dennis Quella did a beautiful job doing just that.

You might try giving him a call and asking what he uses?

Larry

Posts: 3231 | city, state or province, country: Fresno, California | Registered: February 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I really DO need a bigger hammer!
Picture of UFO-LOW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Larry, I'll do that.

Posts: 102 | city, state or province, country: Fort Meade, Florida | Registered: January 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndyDave
posted Hide Post
Please let us know what Dennis tells you.
Thanks

Posts: 407 | city, state or province, country: Indianapolis | Registered: June 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like you didn't like the space. I didn't want to get too involved so I used black silicone GE caulking. It dries glossy and serves the purpose of reducing the sheet netal rattle.

Posts: 5396 | city, state or province, country: New York | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of accobra
posted Hide Post
I would foam it with epoxy foam ...might be a little messy and you could reduce it by carefully duct taping one side ... or they might just make something in the autobody business for this specific appliation ?

Posts: 3132 | city, state or province, country: New York | Registered: November 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Racing is Life, anything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Picture of Joules
posted Hide Post
Its really not a case of 'filling the gap', but one of rebonding the two panels together so there is no gap as they are supposed to be in contact with only a small amount of adhesive beteen them. The automotive World has a number of panel adhesives (3M or Lord Fusor are two good brands) get one for metal to metal panel bonding and clamp or place the piece on something to support the ribs such that wieght of the deck forces the panels together until the adhesive sets. Maybe a couple of those large welding magnets with N-S orientation would provide enough clamping force.

Good luck,
Julian

Posts: 2477 | city, state or province, country: Reno, NV | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
Its really not a case of 'filling the gap', but one of rebonding the two panels together so there is no gap as they are supposed to be in contact with only a small amount of adhesive beteen them. The automotive World has a number of panel adhesives (3M or Lord Fusor are two good brands) get one for metal to metal panel bonding and clamp or place the piece on something to support the ribs such that wieght of the deck forces the panels together until the adhesive sets. Maybe a couple of those large welding magnets with N-S orientation would provide enough clamping force.

Julian

Good luck,
Julian

Careful there sparky. Clamp it too tightly and you will crimple the outside of the deck. Better off leaving it as it sits and filling it.

Posts: 5396 | city, state or province, country: New York | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Racing is Life, anything before or after is just waiting" - Steve McQueen
Picture of Joules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
Careful there sparky. Clamp it too tightly and you will crimple the outside of the deck. Better off leaving it as it sits and filling it.

Agreed, if in doubt take it to a professional, but the ribbing is there to support and tension the decklid. If the two halves are not structurally joined then it will flex more and potentially enough for the corners to hit the rear fenders and chip paint, a common problem.

Julian

Posts: 2477 | city, state or province, country: Reno, NV | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bosswrench
posted Hide Post
Some vendors think the typical 2200rpm-resonance drone from most Panteras might come from the separation of the decklid skin and support 'spider'. If anyone notices a reduction in this annoying noise after fixing the decklid, please post your fix and any conclusions.

Posts: 2090 | city, state or province, country: Minden NV | Registered: December 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post