Skip to main content

Can someone tell me where the temperature gauge sending unit is located on my '74 L #6570? My temp gauge stopped working last summer, and I'd like to check the sender unit 1st before assuming the gauge is bad. I have looked on the pressure tank, but that has the bleeder on it where earlier models had the sender unit. I have looked on the intake manifold, but all I see are vacuum hoses, not an electrical lead for the sender. The thermostat pipe has a device in it that has 3 vaccuum hoses coming out of it, again no electrical lead. Thanks, Chuck
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I CONCURE! I HAVE A 74L AND THE TEMP SENDER IS SCREWED INTO THE FACE (FRONT)OF THE BLOCK JUST BELOW AND TO THE RIGHT (PASSENGER SIDE) OF THE THERMASTAT HOUSING/WATER NECK. MARLIN P.S. MY SENDER WAS ALSO BAD, THE TEMP GAUGE WOULD JUST BEARLY MOVE OFF THE LEFT SIDE, EVEN THOUGH I KNEW THE ENGINE WAS HOT. I PURCHASED A NEW ONE AT THE LOCAL NAPA SUPPLY FOR $6.00. I INSTALLED IT AND BROTHER DID THE GAUGE COME ALIVE, NOW IT READS AT A NORMAL STRAIGHT UP AT HALF GAUGE! JUST ASK FOR THE COMMON, EVERYDAY 351C TEMP SENDER. MARLIN
Thanks,guys! I'll look for it this weekend. Everyone at work that I asked told me to look around the intake manifold - even the Pantera shop manual says around the manifold. I've already got the bulkhead panel off, so this will be a snap! Hopefully, it's just the sender. Plenty of NAPA stores here in Milwaukee, so getting the part should be easy. In another 2 months or so, the weather here will be decent and all the salt will be washed off the roads....then it will be time to rattle a few windows in the neighborhood!
Chuck
If its not in the surge tank, it must be in the front of the block, mounted horizontally just under the thermostat. Make sure someone didn't put it into an unused port in the waterpump- the pump cavitates at higher engine speeds and you don't get a true temp from a mixture of water & air. The '3-lead' thingy is a vacuum manifold that associated with the stock distributor with its push-pull vacuum advance and temperature retard. Ironically, retarding the timing usually creates even more heat but does slow the idle speed... The correct sender is p/n TS-58, sold by Kragens, Ford and about everyone else in the auto parts biz. It will work correctly on your '74 with the 0-260 degree gauge. It won't be as true-reading on earlier cars with a 0-230 gauge, I found.
Link copied to your clipboard.