Skip to main content

My Pantera arrived on a big orange truck today and it is a sight to behold. I bought this car sight unseen based on strong recommendations from the Atlanta Pantera circle. The car is everything they said it would be and more.

It was a cold day here in Oklahoma and I don't think the guys knew to use the manual choke, so she took a minute to start on the truck. They back her down and I leave her to idle while I carry the seats and bumpers into the garage. I make a quick loop around the neighborhood then park and take the key out of the ignition.

10 minutes later I run back to the car, never so eager to run errands. Lo and behold the car won't start. I can't get the key to fully engage or turn from the 0 position. I know the damn key works because I've already run the car. I tinker and I tap. I call the former owner to see if he's ever had this problem.. he hadn't. I call a friend to pick his brain. I run to Napa for some graphite lube and give that a whirl. Nothing. At this point I'm getting a little frustated.

Next it occurs to me to search the forum. I find this thread.

I try ParaPantera's Italian locksmith kit and voila! The cylinder pops out, the key engages and the Pantera roars back to life. My first Pantera problem solved.

This is either an omen or someone's idea of an initiation. Smiler

Pictures on the way.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chris,

Congratulations on your new “Beast”. I know that there is always apprehension when buying a car that you have not seen.

As for your ignition issue, I have been there and done that. My guess is that the cold weather was just cold enough to cause gook etc. to gum up the lock cylinder action.

The lock cylinder (mechanical side) has NO spring. The “pop out” occurs with the mechanical action of removing the key. The problem is that as you remove the key it comes out but the cylinder stays in. The next time you go to start the car the key will only partially go in.

I got some temporary relief by using different lubricants/cleaners. Everything from W-D 40 to electrical contact cleaners. I sprayed a small amount inside the lock cylinder and the outside of the cylinder (run position lock cylinder pushed in)). This gave me temporary relief but not a permanent fix. I also tried to remember to put a small amount of downward pressure on the key as I pulled it out.

Later on I also disassembled and cleaned out the electrical side (see PP). It helped but was not the underlying problem. The electrical side of the switch is available NOS. $100 or so. Pantera owner Larry Finch usually has one available. Last I kept my emergency “Italian” lock tool a paper clip in my ashtray.

Earlier this year I stumbled on a NOS cylinder and keys on eBay, and have had zero issues since.

Jeff
Well, welcome to the club. I had the exact same experience the day that my Pantera arrived from its cross country trip, except I stopped a few blocks away from my house at a friend's, and I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing started again, until after the tenth or so time of putting the key in and out and the cylinder stayed out, and I figured out what was going on. But my experience was a little worse. I bought this particular Pantera from someone who frequents this site because the engine had just been rebuilt with virtually no miles on it, so I reasoned that at least I wouldn't have to be worrying about this expense for quite a while. That it needed a little bit of body work and paint, I was prepared for and it had a number of upgrades for which I wouldn't have to pay, so I was quite excited. But on my way home (literally four blocks from my house), I heard a bearing seize and $4000 later I had another rebuild after the first day of ownership. The previous owner did offer to have the engine fixed if I removed it, crated it, paid for shipping both ways across the country and then re-installed it, but I estimated that I probably saved a couple of thousand just "eating" the cost and doing it locally. Besides, what if it happened again? Would I start the process all over? Anyway, three years and a lot of dollars and patience (and tons of new parts) later, it's finally a joy to drive and to take to the track and have a great time. It was all worth it. Welcome to the club! Enjoy it for years to come.
quote:
Originally posted by SoonerBJJ:
My Pantera arrived on a big orange truck today and it is a sight to behold. I bought this car sight unseen based on strong recommendations from the Atlanta Pantera circle. The car is everything they said it would be and more.

It was a cold day here in Oklahoma and I don't think the guys knew to use the manual choke, so she took a minute to start on the truck. They back her down and I leave her to idle while I carry the seats and bumpers into the garage. I make a quick loop around the neighborhood then park and take the key out of the ignition.

10 minutes later I run back to the car, never so eager to run errands. Lo and behold the car won't start. I can't get the key to fully engage or turn from the 0 position. I know the damn key works because I've already run the car. I tinker and I tap. I call the former owner to see if he's ever had this problem.. he hadn't. I call a friend to pick his brain. I run to Napa for some graphite lube and give that a whirl. Nothing. At this point I'm getting a little frustated.

Next it occurs to me to search the forum. I find this thread.

I try ParaPantera's Italian locksmith kit and voila! The cylinder pops out, the key engages and the Pantera roars back to life. My first Pantera problem solved.

This is either an omen or someone's idea of an initiation. Smiler

Pictures on the way.

Sooner, try a little dry graphite for lubricant, it reduces the frequency for the need of the Italian locksmith kit.
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy from Hell:
Your Italian mistress is just letting you know who the boss is, and that she needed a little attention.

-G

George is completely correct. Your pantera is not a car, and should not be treated as one, but a very emotional mistress.
One day she will bring you more joy than you can handle, one day she will try to destroy you !

I will give you an example, I took mine out after 6 months ( winter ) drove fine headlights worked and all.
car stalled at the lights, I tried to start it while cranking turned the lights off. they dropped a bit and when car started turned them back on butthe did not windup the the top.
headlight motor never worked again. checked everything, no good. finally put a battery to the motor it cycled, and now works fine. What did I do to fix it ?? Nothing, but now it works again.

Like I say emotional mistress !

Car looks great, enjoy it I am sure you will.
SoonerBJJ, Welcome...Ah so the adventure and journey begins. Car looks good. Interesting to see the body color bumpers. Do you know what kind of seats those are? That's one of the common upgrades and there are so many variations to what guys do. Can you post a few more pictures of the seats?

Congrats on your purchase...you got a nicely done car considering you didn't see it prior to purchase.
Nice silver car! Looks fantastic.

Like your ignition key, all things on a Pantera need to be considered carefully before executing.

Like any exciting mistress, you need to consider every movement and pay attention whenever you are with her.

This excludes the loud pedal, which, after a good drivetrain rebuild, you can hammer away for years without a second thought.
Welcome to the club. Funny you had that 'first day' experience.

After buying my car and going on a pretty brief test drive (on the ORIGINAL TIRES), I took it straight to Roush's shop in Michigan.

Then, after about 3 months there, it went to Pat Mical's shop in New Hampshire. (I'm in Alabama.)

Finally, the 'big day' and it arrived by truck at my house. Took it to go get gas, and within 3 miles, it choked out. Me and my son pushed it to the side of the road. Wouldn't restart for anything. Sounded starved. Called the wrecker, but tornado warnings held him up for a while.

In the meantime, I decided to swap out the fuel filter, in the rain, flashlight literally in my teeth. Though the old one didn't look THAT bad, it still had some trash.

I hit the key...

The car started right up. VICTORY! Hasn't let me down since.

Enjoy your car!
Link copied to your clipboard.