Skip to main content

Hi,
Long time member here. I've been wanting a Pantera for some time now and found a project car in 2818, a 72 pre-L. Just got her home yesterday. I've tried to learn as much as possible from everyone on the forum, but still lot to learn. Any locals want to contact me and talk Panteras or meet up, I sure could use any advice/help along the way. Thanks! John
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yeah, it looks ok for a driver, but needs all new suspension bushings and shocks. The driver side headlight bracket needs fixed. Paint is an old cheap respray. Then there are the typical rust areas, front valance, rockers and rear wheel wells. Kind of knew about most, but maybe a little worse than expected. Its going to take some time...and money, but I'll get her right! I'll post a few pics here soon.
Rocky,

Good advice and agree. Making a list of everything that needs addressed.

My first couple issues will be getting a new ignition switch (key broke off inside, but can still start the car). What's the best replacement?

Then there are the bushings and shocks. Any recommendations on shocks? Car will just be for the street/show. I see Koni, Aldan, and ride tech all offer shocks/springs. Not sure which ones to go with yet.

Husker,
Thanks! I should have bought one years ago. Glad to have finally made the leap and join the club!
Welcome and congratulations! Drive it and enjoy it awhile and try to do a little each winter, so many of these cars end up apart for decades while the owner goes through everything, ask me how I now!

Ignition switch is a German Ford Capri Mk and getting harder to find, but if only the key is broken a good locksmith can extract it, lube up the cylinder and make you a new key.

OEM style ruber bushings are available from Maseratisource on eBay, he just had annual sale with no reserve and you can get all 16 for less than $100. For a good street ride I'd stick with them despite the hassle to replace rather than poly bushings.

My personal opinion stay away from Aldan shocks they are notorious for leaking. Scott at SACC Restoration has some good offerings, although I have been happy with QA1, available from Summit Racing at a decent price.

Julian
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Glad to know there are other Pantera's around semi-locally. While 2818 looks ok in pictures and runs good, the reality is she's in need of some good TLC. The prior owner claimed to have only put 4000 miles on her in 36 years with not much really done to her. So she's in bad need of bushings and shocks along with some rust repair in the usual places. Really excited to finally have one though!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.