Skip to main content

When I was in High School, my subscription to Road & Track was my introduction to sports cars I would never have. I didn’t save the magazines, but removed those black & white car review pages of the ones I liked. Of course the Pantera was my favorite, So I found a copy of the R&T that had the 73 Pantera, scanned the page and sent it to VistaPrint to make me an 18X24” poster. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the poster’s print was crisp and clean. Just looking at it is sort of like finding an old love letter from High School Sweet Heart

Attachments

Images (1)
  • R_T_poster_001
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Man, that's really nice. The wall art and the helping of a fellow PIer.

In 1973, I was also in high school, had never heard of a Pantera. Seriously, though I called myself a car fan, somehow the car just missed me.

One day I got into a little trouble for something - it involved a ceramic kiln and a raw onion, so draw your own conclusions - and had to serve my time in the library under the horribly flawed conclusion that I'd 'study' in detention.

A fellow cellmate who was WAY more familiar with 'the system' took pity on this first-time offender, finding some humor in why I'd been nabbed. He gave me the inside scoop on where the car magazines were.

That helped. It was like knowing the guy in the joint who could get you smokes and pinup posters.

I complied, nesting a Road & Track inside something thrilling like Homer. Or Jonathan Livingston Seagull for gods sake. In THAT magazine, on THAT day, I spied THIS article on the Pantera.

My cell mate knew all about them, surprised I didn't. He referenced their performance and design, though suffering a bruised reputation by those who didn't understand the potential.

Considering our circumstances, we had a silent moment of parallel recognition. "Cool," we both agreed.

I spent the next hour, two, maybe more, reading, I mean 'studying' like a good boy... about Panteras first, then a host of other fine rides, ably journalled in the slick pages of R&T.

That day when I got home, I donated my grass cutting money to a subscription. Jail had transformed me; I rehabilitated with horsepower.

Funny to see this here, taking me back to that time too. What an awesome tribute. Thanks for the memories, enjoy yours and making new ones.
Okay Adams. I've got a story too.

I grew up in Harbor City. One of the racially diverse and economically depressed cities of the southern California area we call the "South Bay" (San Francisco has a "South Bay" as well, but that's not the one I'm referring to). Other South Bay cities include Long Beach, San Pedro, Wilmington, Gardena, Carson, Lomita, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach and Torrance. One of the major highways through our area was the Pacific Coast Highway, i.e. the rather famous Highway 101. The high rent district, i.e. Palos Verdes, loomed on a hill in the background. Across the street from the lowest rent housing projects, at the corner of Normandy Avenue and PCH (PCH = Pacific Coast Highway) was an auto mall. And on that corner situated on Normandy Avenue was Peyton Lincoln Mercury.

Are you familiar with the original Gone In Sixty Seconds movie? That auto mall is where the tow truck chase scene began. In fact the whole movie was filmed in the South Bay.

Getting back to Peyton L/M, the owner Peyton Cramer was the former manager of Shelby American. He's the guy who swung the deal with Hertz Rent-A-Car for the Hertz Shelby Mustangs. His L/M dealership in Harbor City is where the earliest POCA meetings took place. Peyton L/M was also the highest volume Pantera dealer in the USA. His dealership sold more "new" Panteras than any other ... ever.

As a side note, the POCA folks would like you to believe that their earliest meetings, which took place at Peyton L/M, took place in Long Beach. That's because Harbor City was the low rent district, it had a bad reputation. They don't want to admit that their club was founded in a ghetto like Harbor City. But now the cat is out of the bag, so deal with it POCA.

So I'm finally getting around to my story ... when the first Pantera arrived at Peyton L/M I headed down on a week day afternoon (when business was slow) to take a look at Ford's exciting new sports car ... and I fell immediately in love with that exotic Italian beauty. I was a young man, obviously couldn't afford a Pantera, yet the salesman in charge of Pantera sales took me for a ride. The next day I showed-up with a bottle of his favorite beverage ... and I made an instant friend. He and I shared several subsequent test rides. This was a period of time in which my driving privileges had been suspended, I had no drivers license. So he did all the driving. I didn't get to drive until 1973!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.