Skip to main content

OK, while I was digging out heater core hoses, I stuck my face up under the dash to see what the rear of my EMERGENCY FLASHER button looks like....after it too quit working on Saturday when we dragged this girl home! An hour in the sun was the last straw for this switch!

OK I was warned. I got the black plastic nut loose...that was tough! But the nut will not fit over the plastic wire connectors to allow me to pull the switch out!

It would appear that I need to remove all the wires before I can get the switch out....???

All I wanted to do is see if my switch had the external resistor installed, so I can order the proper switch. Can't see anything....all the wires are in the way!

Can anyone chime in here with the 73-74's which seem to have a slightly different switch...?

Easiest way to get access to this area and the switch back?

Thanks!
Steve
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The hazard switch on the later cars (73/74) has a resistor as it is wired to the dimmer switch. The simplest way to verify this to just turn the headlight switch on to turn on the instrument lights. If the lamp on the hazard switch turns on and the intensity controlled by the dimmer, it is the later switch.

Yes, the plastic nut WILL fit past the original factory connectors on the switch so you can pull the switch itself out of the dash but disconnect the plug from the main wiring harness first so you can do so. The plug and nut will prevent the switch assembly from pulling out all the way.
LIV1S

OK, thanks for the description of what the resistor does!

I'm still having a hard time accepting any "fits over the connector" argument with the hard plastic connector covers that are on the spade connectors. If they were the softer gummy Italian version, I can see it.....but these things are very tough plastic and not giving much at all......and I need something like 1/8" or more of "squish" room.....and I just don't see it happening.

I hope to crawl in there in about an hour or so to take another look.......

Worst case, I just jumper the switch out 100% and forgo it for now. Get my flex camera out and check the back of this out, and up a spark plug hole to see if I still have open chamber heads....!

Thanks again!
Steve
The factory connectors on the back of the switch are actually sleeves that slide off but it sounds like you have aftermarket crimp on connectors with the intergral covers that don't slide off, I'm assuming. In this that case, disconnect a couple of connectors to gain some squish room to get the nut over. You can also squish the connectors together on the back of the switch if you can get your hand in there. You will definitely need to squeeze them together a little or leave a couple off to slide the nut back on after you put the new switch on.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.