Skip to main content

Whew, that's a mouthful!

I hate getting older.....a while back, someone sent me a picture of such an adapter. Today, can't seem to find that picture or post or email or whatever medium it was delivered to me....

Our original AC pump ports exited RH side.....and most new Sanden and others have ports exiting the RH side allowing for us to reuse our original flared end hoses. BUT, we need an adapter to go from new O-ring hose connector, to the old flare connector. But wait! There's more! We need such a device to turn 90 degrees AND have a charge port in it!

*****Correction on next line 10/6/17 to "female"
"Female O-ring to Male flare, 90 degrees, with charge ports."

(put another way... Female threaded "nut" to compressor port O-ring fitting, and male flare fitting to old female hose flare fitting.)

It was such a nice little piece.....did everything I wanted.......just can't find the link or picture or who it was that sent or posted it!

I am still using R12......so old hoses are fine......

...but that is bound to change...day is early!!!! Smiler Smiler

Cheers!
Steve
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Juoles,

I think you are correct, I need female (nuts...go figure!) on one end, where pump has male (threads!) on the head. (The o-ring inserts are always male in the compressor and other bits that are not hoses....)

If I was using a SD508 pump, no problemo, but I was going to use a SD7H15 version....and they have no heads with charge ports!

I am under impression SD7 pump is better than 5 series.....but no professional knowledge to back that up, other than 7 series is less work on engine and has 1cu inch more displacement, 9 vs 8 for the "508". York or Tecumseh was 10ish. (SD7 designations went to goofy metric system so need conversion to get Cu In. SD5xY was direct Cu In where Y= cubic inches so a SD508 was 8Cu IN.)

The idea is to find some O-ring connectors with flare ends and an R12 charge port. But, this may be a dodo bird thing...

I was in nostalgic AC earlier and found a couple of new hose ends. Plus some compressor "block" fittings....but likely would require small brass o-ring to flare conversion inserts, OR new hose ends also!

I just measured both hoses on the Pantera and have one #10 hose and one #8 hose. One connector is larger at .850" (7/8") and the other at about .750" (3/4") Measured on threads of the Ford service backseat valves. The smaller one has a right angle adapter on it to fit the Ford adapter also. I don't have a Sanden to measure the two sizes on their "vertical" female (threads!) connectors but I believe them to be a #10 and a #8.

It would appear that the larger #10 hose has plenty of room to be routed straight into the compressor port from the side. But still no charge port yet....

The smaller hose comes from the rear and it appears that it would be more of a challenge to attach, not to mention that it is "well aged" in place! Also no charge port.

So, I still seek charge port options.....

1) go back to 508 with side hose fittings, and rear charge ports. Perhaps find a 508 with more CuIn than 8.

2) new connectors with o-rings and R12 charge ports
Found several options at APAIRINC.com There are plain connectors, R12 ports, straight, 90's PLUS I found some O-ring "backseat valves" which operate just like the originals...both in flare and o-ring style (to the hose).

3) new hoses and connectors......with R12 charge ports.....somewhere....

Tomorrow: open up evap switch and check screen for garp! Stare at hoses for a while.....
Steve
Steve,

A rear head for the SD7H15 Sanden compressor with R12 charge ports should still be available. Hose ports will be o-ring. See pic of mine below.

The SD7H15 is a 7 cylinder pump, whereas the 508 is 5 cylinders.

As you noted, the SD7H15 has slightly more displacement than the 508, which should provide slightly more cooling at low speeds.

John

Attachments

Images (1)
  • SD7H15
John,

I agree, there "should" be a head available....but I have scoured the Sanden doc's and cannot find one! "5" head has 5 bolts retaining head, a "7" has 6 bolts.

I can see a JD on the rear head on your pic????

Normally this JD head is only a Vertical port head....no extra ports. So, could this be a specially modified version???????

Would love to see a copy of your invoice for this pump, for any "special" notes or model numbers!!!

What is that hose arrangement in the top right of the pic????

Steve
Steve,

Yes, it is a JD head. When I ordered my compressor in 2010, I was told that they would change the head to one with R12 charging ports.

My invoice shows "JD head" and a note to "add R12 charging ports". Did they drill and tap the JD head?? Don't know.

Two years later, I ordered another identical setup for another owner.

I purchased this from A/C Parts Warehouse in Rockwall, Texas. 972.772.5502. I spoke with Richard....don't know if he is still there. Give them a call.

https://www.acparts.com/produc...ad-jd-sd7h13-sd7h15/

The hose arrangement in the top right of the pic is the heater hose. The heater tubes penetrated the firewall behind the right seat, about half way up the firewall.

The '71 heater tubes were (are) run ON TOP of the tunnel (NOT inside the tunnel). At the firewall, they turn 90• towards the right seat (in a horizontal plane). Then another 90• bend up the firewall, with a very sharp 90• bend through the firewall. See pic.

John

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Engine_Front
OK!!!

My AC lines take that route to the front on top of the console......

I did speak to Richard at AC Parts...b.ut he seemed a little of his game..... Will see if he's around tomorrow to offer the same convenience!!!! 5 years may be the time limit to expect them to go back to such primitive products!!!

Is the compressor mount adapter something special or the same as an S5 mount?

I have a generic Mustang FOrd adapter but it needs a notch to clear the cast iron boss where the rear mount is, normally a ground connection for battery in front engine cars!!!

Thanks!!!
STeve
quote:
Originally posted by Mangusta:
OK!!!

My AC lines take that route to the front on top of the console......

I did speak to Richard at AC Parts...b.ut he seemed a little of his game..... Will see if he's around tomorrow to offer the same convenience!!!! 5 years may be the time limit to expect them to go back to such primitive products!!!

Is the compressor mount adapter something special or the same as an S5 mount?

I have a generic Mustang FOrd adapter but it needs a notch to clear the cast iron boss where the rear mount is, normally a ground connection for battery in front engine cars!!!

Thanks!!!
STeve

Steve...
Give Tommy Hodges a Call, he replaced my Air Cond. along with some upgrades and other repairs earlier this year! I'm sure he can answer your Questions!
Good Luck
Curt
OK, spoke to Richard again, and pressed him a bit.....THIS TIME.....he admitted "that he may have some JD heads with charge ports on the back shelf"...... TA DA!!! Pump is heading my way with charge ports in the head!

Now, JB mentioned different oil used for R134 which is what this pump is now sold as.....and although the new oil is OK with R12, it is NOT OK with the old mineral oil!

SO, called Richard back....and he's going to get me one of the adapters that is shipping late and a bottle of mineral oil! I just need to flush and fill the compressor!

...however that is done!

In the mean time....back to my water pipes!

Cheers!
Steve
Steve,

PAG and mineral oil are incompatible forming a sludge that will gum up everything, so you'll need to completely flush the pump with a solvent. I was going to say your friendly auto parts store will have A/C flush solvent and then remembered your in CA, so maybe not!

Julian

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.