Skip to main content

I have looked at wiring diagrams and information and tried forum searches but I can't figure out what this item is.
On my 73 Pantera, it is located under the dash behind the glovebox. It is very visible. It appears to be ceramic with a metal cage on top. There is a heavy yellow wire on one terminal and two parallel black wires on the other. The best I can read with a mirror on the ceramic is LEMA 2756.
Anyone know what it is and how it functions? I'll skip my guesses.
Thanks
Norm

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC04158_resize-1
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

On the wiring diagrams and info I found, this AC/Heat Blower Motor 2 speed resistor is shown as integral to the blower assembly and with Red/Black wires.
Thanks for the info. Nice to know what this really is.
I've seen discussions that imply I would have to remove the dash to replace the blower motor assembly. Can it be removed without tearing the dash apart? I also assume I would need a different switch for a 3 speed blower.
Thanks
Norm
The blower motor on most Panteras CAN be removed without disturbing the dash. I've done it twice on a '72 L with the early dash. That fable was spread by people with fat hands and an inability to work blind, as you cannot see the bolts holding the blower mount or fan ducts so must work only by touch. A set of 1/4"-drive metric sockets is essential. Send the kids away 'cause swearing helps, too! There's also much fiddling needed to clear the motor and dual squirrel-cage fan assemblies from their ducts during removal.

The plastic fans are brittle and very fragile- easy to crack one which throws the assembly out of balance and causes noise & vibrations. It's also extremely easy to reassemble the fans on the motor shaft backward or to install the assembly end-for-end, such that it works perfectly but blows no air. Reversing the fan leads does not fix this on a squirrel-cage fan assembly. I think Mike Dailys 'Panteraplace.com' website has a detailed description.

I will also say that although it is possible, it's far quicker to just remove the dash. That gives you the opportunity to fix other little things in there that is otherwise impossible to reach: duct-tape up air leaks in the steel AC/heater box, replace the age-rotted foam doughnuts between dash & AC box, and even "port-match" the holes in the dash to the holes in the steel box- which are usually off by as much as 50% of the open area. Repositioning the steel box on its tab-hangers on the firewall helps efficiency, too. Note that the dash need not be completely removed- only pulled away and laid across the seats- which can also stay in place.
I don't believe there is a stock, or even stock appearing, off plus 3 run position switch.
Use the stock dash switch and pick two speeds you like, or you could let the first position of the dash switch feed a hidden second SPDT switch to let that dash switch position control the two lower speeds by flipping the hidden switch while the second position of the dash switch turns on the high speed. That's how i did it.
Removing the dash was a chore but made the blower swap so much easier and you'll find a bunch of details to tidy up back there while you've got it opened up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.