Skip to main content

Hey Folks,

IF this 'upgrade' has already been posted, my apologies.

I wanted a newer high flow condenser fan (my ACs weak spot) and just bought the fan in the link below.

I pulled my old fan out, redid my shroud and all. A Pantera vendor says he gets these fans and just breaks off the 3 'tabs' to which the original fan attaches. Thats a fine way to do it but I get a little weird about irreversible mods (maybe just me) and hated to break off the tabs, so I got to looking...

Lo and behold, this motor has 3 mounting holes near the motor that - and I'm not making this up - when you straighten your original 3 tabs, the LINE UP with the new motor. I had to SLIGHTLY elongate the holes since I'm anal, but it mounted in PERFECTLY.

I do have photos but my wife has the camera (!) Just look at this auction or save it if you think you might want a fan in the future.

Pictures will be coming but I wanted you guys to know this little upgrade.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Procomp-10-inch-12-VOLT-...6QQitemZ160157377186

Oh, and at $16.50, kind of hard to mess up too bad.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

All back in place. Turned it on and it is SMOOTH and puts air out several feet behind it. (Very scientific. CLAIMS 1200 cfm but I'd take 750!)

The old one made a ton of noise and weighed about 4 or 5 TIMES what this new one does. The original shroud now derusted, repainted high temp textured paint. All original wires in their respective spots.

And yes for you Eagle Eyes, I did remove the lock cylinder and catch and re 'cad' coated it, plus a few other details...

Attachments

Images (1)
  • AFTER_New_fan
Hey Cuvee,

Yes, if your shroud is like mine and you're AS SMART AS I AM you can do it! I feel this won't be a challenge.

I seem to remember reading that it drew 8 amps.

You will need to get some 1" long #6 metric bolts/nuts of your choosing as the actual mounting hardware.

You can tell in one of my photos where I elongated the original holes to accomodate these screws and mount together.
Originally the fans on the condensers were suckers, which were functional to about 70 mph at which point the low pressure behind the car pretty much negated the pull of the fan.

Sounds like you have your fan set up to push the air thru? It will be interesting to see what your experience will be with the effectiveness of the system.
Last edited by jeff6559
That's great. As mentioned in another post, I had taken my car in for myriad fixes/upgrades, one of which was to replace my AC lines.

When he replaced the 134a and following this fan upgrade, my AC has blown far cooler (he measured 41 degrees at the vent).

Later, I plan on a condenser upgrade. Then it should be about as good as its gonna get without surgery.
I'm right behind you Garth. Just got off the phone with the outfit that had them on e-bay. Not often you can make a inexpensive & easy addition to your P-car & get such a big benefit out of it! I also want to throw a big "Thanks" out to AH for sharing this with us!
quote:
Originally posted by Pantera 1887:
I’m really interested in this mod. Will it move enough air to overcome the vacuum created at the back of the car at 70 or 80 MPH, e.g. you are getting cold air sustained high speed.

Mike

Mike, for as much as you've done for this hobby, I'd run behind your car at speed with a fireplace bellows to keep you cool.

Aside from that - my 'empirical' data - shows that my 70-80mph drives have been way WAY cooler than before. I do not feel the increase in temps as I did, which had been noticable.

Sorry to say I didn't do it the way "Pantera Place" would do it. I just didn't think to do the 'before' prior to the popped hose.

I have a hard time believing the CFM rating on the ebay description at 1200 or whatever it says, but I believe it must certainly be twice what the old cranky fan was. Good enough for me.

SIDE NOTE: Got my new condenser in yesterday. Whoa. I had lucked up and emailed THE ONE GUY in California who happens to make Pantera-sized dual parallel condensers. I could not believe it. Got him on the phone to make sure at least one of us wasn't on drugs at the odds.

Yes, he's the guy.

I'll post a thumbs up or down once my AC person gives his 'real' opinion. All I know is that it fits and was um, extremely reasonable.
Last edited by ahudson
quote:
Got my new condenser in yesterday. Whoa. I had lucked up and emailed THE ONE GUY in California who happens to make Pantera-sized dual parallel condensers.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
1. How did the new parallel flow condenser work out?
2. What did your AC guy have to say about the quality of the unit?
3. Who did you order it from? Contact info and price please.

Thanks!
Garth
Hey All, Sorry for the immense delay. Other projects - like WORK - called me away! I hate when that happens.

I'm scheduled to take the car in Tuesday (13th Nov) for the condenser swap.

I'll report soon. Oh, and the contact info on 'the' Condenser person's contact info is AT work... and I'm at home. Arrgh. Will tie a 12ga wire around my finger now so I won't forget to post that when I get there.
I took photos this morning of the wrapped condenser sort of laying in place atop the old one. Those'll come (heading out of town for a week with the family... Pantera withdrawals ensue!)

They should have all the work done by the time I get back and I asked him to take photos while things are coming together.

I should have ice cold ac... just in time for winter! Who says I'm not a good planner?

Email for THE condenser source: Alberto Cabrera acglobal@sbcglobal.net

Enjoy,
Now that it has FINALLY gotten hot here (or hot enough to try an air conditioner) I got my system charged up with my...

1) Rotary compressor
2) NEW condenser
3) 10" Spal Fan (the one in this thread wouldn't work with the new condenser)

Turned it on - ice cubes. Can't believe it. Measured 41 degrees at the vent. Used it ALL SATURDAY afternoon, windows up, worked incredibly well.

Since my interior is hyper insulated now (doors, roof, under carpet, firewall) it actually stays cool enough to turn it down.

The condenser - in the opinion of the installing tech - was 'the' ticket. I took the WORST photos of the thing while it was laying in there but may try again later.

I now noticed the condensers are on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pantera-New-4-Rows-AC-A-...665111QQcmdZViewItem

My experiment has worked thus far, and in the Alabama heat, I'm loving it.
Glad to see your warm weather trials are giving such great low temps.

One thing I feel needs to be cleared up, though.

The original Pantera condenser was a tube and fin style. Very old school.

Newer automotive systems use what is called a parallel flow condenser. It is said to be lighter and more efficient, size wise, than the tube and fin style.

All your earlier postings had described your new unit as a "dual parallel condenser" and I had assumed you meant a parallel flow style unit.

After viewing the eBay auction listing, it is apparent the unit you installed is still the older style tube and fin style.

Others following your lead will want to refer to your condenser as a four row tube and fin unit.

Larry
quote:
Originally posted by modok:
Hello. the e-bay listing for the fan is over. Is there a manufacturer and model number present so that I can purchase one.Thanks for your time.

Yes, the contact info is eariler in this post: is Al Sanchez with CCS, 925 Peregrine Place, Anaheim CA 92806. PH: 714-991-0636. Just tell them the application and they'll know. You may want to clarify the following...

By the way, I recalled a description of 'dual parallel' and only noticed this vendor (the same) had started placing condensors on ebay, thus the 'bump' to this original thread.

LF - TP 2511, I thought you may be right on mine being 'old' style vs. dual parallel. I called the installing tech who without prompting said, "Dual parallel".

I didn't catch that this auction was for anything but, however, it's worth making sure if anyone orders.

Best thing is - my air is icy cold. I'm shocked and amazed!

UPDATE: Did an ebay search, more are listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pantera-New-4-Rows-AC-A-...sh=item370049251200&
Last edited by ahudson
quote:
Originally posted by modok:
sorry I didn't make myself clear.I am only looking for the fan that fit in the shroud using the factory condensor that was described at the beginning of this thread.

In the ebay link, you'll see "Pro Comp 10", 12 volt" and that should serve as enough to search ebay or autoparts store for. All I have.
Link copied to your clipboard.