Skip to main content

My installation of the Vintage Air 12" remote condenser-shroud-fan unit (P.N. # 03500-OVA) is finished. This is a 12" by 20" parallel flow aluminum condenser with a 12" shrouded puller fan. The stock unit weighs about 17 1/2 pounds; the new one only 6 pounds, 12 ounces. I mounted the top of the condenser to an aluminum bar 1" by 1/4" thick which was thick enough to clear the mounting studs of the A/C grill. The bottom was mounted to drilled and tapped holes in the chassis structure. I used 4mm Allen head cap screws in the bottom level of the dual-level condenser mounting brackets, as the screw heads fit through the upper level holes of the condenser and thus allowed the shroud to mount flush with the upper level. Total cost of under $350 - $199 for the unit plus drier,trinary switch,new hose ends and hardware. I have my own Robinair R-12 recycle/recharge machine, sniffer and gauges and buy my R-12 from eBay for about $20 a can, so I had no shop expenses other than crimping the new hose ends. Unit looks great, gave 46 degree air with a 91 degree ambient temp, and the 12volt connecter metal spades were a direct swap into the stock wiring connector.

Pretty easy, though since I am such a detail nut-case it took me most of the week's evenings and all day Saturday. YMMV.

Larry

Attachments

Images (10)
  • DSC05722_S
  • DSC05718_S
  • DSC05723_S
  • DSC05741_S
  • DSC05749_S
  • DSC05745_S
  • DSC05746_S
  • DSC05742_S
  • DSC05747_S
  • DSC05756_S
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Original was a York piston unit, far from a modern rotary. Wink I, and many others, have however upgraded to a Sanden 508 rotary for its size and smoothness. This is a standard upgrade, not just for Panteras, and the adapter plate is easy to find on eBay or even NAPA. DO NOT buy a rebuilt unit (Sanden rotary units just don't agree with rebuilding) or the newer China "like Sanden" units now being sold by Hot Rod stores and others.

Larry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.