Skip to main content

OK, Erica had me pull her console cover out, adjacent to the parking brake handle while doing the AC evap thing. Good thing she did!

I found a huge bundle of wires 6 or so, of which one is the cigarette lighter which is hot all the time.....laying on top of the shift linkage! It had been there a while from the polishing of the shift rod!

Can anyone tell me the proper route that this wiring should be taking to get to the rear cover area??? So that it doesn't contact the shift linkage? Flopped over the top doesn't seem proper!

The extra wires unused, are the "seat occupied" wiring for both seats. Used wiring is "parking-brake on", Lighter, and lighter light!

Something completely different but relates...!

I have never seen a lighter receptacle so long....for such a long lighter!!! A US lighter is at least 3/8" shy of touching the contacts!

Looks like Italian supplier was Falco(?) if I read the stamping properly.

Since I would like to actually have a lighter that functions, not to mention, a charge port for phones or CB or whatever...while out on the road...I am changing to a US spec socket and lighter.

I modified the US blue plastic lighter light ring to fit the console and parts, I had to ream out the hole in the console by a few thousandths, and so instead of an amber ring around the lighter, I will have a blue ring. I applied power to it and it's so bright and blue I can barely see it......! Wink It does light up the socket with white lite when the lighter is out.

If anyone gets upset, I can change back to amber easily..... Wink

I do need to find a lighter wire female connector to adapt to the DeTomaso spade connector. Not cutting stock wires here.....when I can make a simple adapter wire.

I also want to get a socket cap, like you see in Explorers and Expeditions etc for the "device" ports in the rear seat areas, to put over the top of this socket while not in use. I really don't like the idea of a live lighter in the console where you can lean on it or drop a coin in..or put something over the top of the lighter, causing it to push down and burn up your car.....! So lighter element goes in the glove box.....unless needed for cigars....! Smiler

Added some shrink wrap insulation to these two lighter wires as the plastic protectors are missing....don't need sparks!!!

I was missing the little light assembly but found a suitable one in my old Ford spares....changed the wire end connection....will work fine!

Cheers!
Steve

Picture shows stock lighter socket on right, and Ford socket on left that is going in the car!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 101_7837_(Medium)
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.