Skip to main content

I have the standard Veglia oil pressure gauge but for added safety I have fitted a capilliary type gauge also.

When the engine is running capilliary gauge reads 50psi and the veglia 70psi but the needle fluctuates quite a lot. When the engine is warm it drops to around 25/30psi at idle on the capilliary but stays around 50/70 on the veglia.

It has a brand new sender so I'm thinking the gauge is faulty. Are there any resistors etc on the back of this gauge that may have failed or anyone any clues as to why the readings would be so erratic.

Original gauge so would like to keep hold of it.

cheers
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The oil pressure gauge is fed by 12v from the fuse panel. There are no inline resistors / compensators like you might find with some Pantera's water temp gauges.
You could disconnect the sender and connect a resistor between sender wire and a good ground and see if you get any of that fluctuating. If you use a variable resistor you simulate different pressure readings.
When you replaced the sender you don't want to use teflon tape as the sender needs to connect to ground.
Maybe check for loose connections on the gauge.
You could contact Jon Hass as he sells tested senders, he might be able to rebuild your gauge if bad.
http://www.pantera-electronics...lectriccomponent.htm

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.