Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Simon ( and all) Yes Mangusta has an engine stamping and a ZF number. The Mangusta engine number is actually on the rear of the intake (not on rear top of block as in a Ford car)

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/...751004556#6751004556

If you do not have a factory build sheet I have an extrapolation table from known data.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • R0011524s
Last edited by denisc
quote:
Originally posted by LeeA:
I suppose these motors must have been in a giant pile for a while...Lee

I wondered about that too, but also have a look at the production date of the intake it should be a C8ZE and if engine had never been touched there would be a engine tag. You might also see a casting date on waterpump (assuming it is the original)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 755102011_Mangusta_Engine_Tag2

Wow, I see a trend...the gold Goose in Miami (8ma696) with 302 and smog pump/thermactors shows an intake casting date of July 2 (8G3), carb date of March 1968...8MA1076 has an intake casting date of July 5 (8G5) and a block casting of 8G2. This with the engine tag Denis shows (no day, but July '68) seems to indicate a pretty tight grouping of motor production (at least for the US models (with smog pumps...and I am just guessing whether smog motors went worldwide.

8MA696 intake picture here

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 8ma_696
Last edited by leea
Lee, We have to assume DeT bought motors in batches. The 289HiPo was dead and the 302 J-Code 4 barrel was the logical replacement to it (the Boss302 being a premium motor) Steve had noted some examples of later cars to have marine or industrial motors 4 barrel versions.

The important thing is that the whole motor assembly have:

1.- Engine VIN on intake
2.- Block, intake, head and carb tag dates that are within a few weeks apart,
2.- In a perfect world, the original tag for both the carb and engine would still be present.

ps It appears the Miami intake is not the original piece as it has no DeT stamp on rear.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.