Skip to main content

When you have two gas tanks, why not brag about it? The one gauge set up required quite complex wiring and two separate empty tank warning light as Longchamps and Deauvilles have. I think it's better to have a gauge per gas tank, and use the warning light that's built into the gauge.

Cool? I think so.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20170803_1022010-2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is cool. There must have been something in the air this past week. I was talking to my aunt about this very topic. I remember her constantly switching back and forth between the two tanks to keep them even. We talked about the fact that she would try to note the difference in the weight side to side. Then play with the gas tanks. She mentioned that one of her cars had a complex setup to try out. It gave the driver the ability to transfer from tank to tank. She said she left it on once and gas poured from the side filler cap.
She noted that the car would not sell without the clock so the one gauge was the only option. Funny she said they could never get Vega to make the clock look closer to the other gushes. "Always looked off and no better with the digital"
quote:
Originally posted by No Quarter:
The blinking light is now in the gauge itself..
Yeah, I got that Mikael.
What I meant was the light coming on and off constantly, while the fuel sloshes around in an almost empty tank.
My Deauville does that. Planned on using a relay to keep it on at the first blink, but still on the list. Razzer
quote:
That is cool. There must have been something in the air this past week. I was talking to my aunt about this very topic. I remember her constantly switching back and forth between the two tanks to keep them even. We talked about the fact that she would try to note the difference in the weight side to side. Then play with the gas tanks. She mentioned that one of her cars had a complex setup to try out. It gave the driver the ability to transfer from tank to tank. She said she left it on once and gas poured from the side filler cap.
She noted that the car would not sell without the clock so the one gauge was the only option. Funny she said they could never get Vega to make the clock look closer to the other gushes. "Always looked off and no better with the digital"

I've looked for a second gauge for some time, it had to be exactly like the one I had already. I actually bought the second gauge from rscorse in February. The green is not as faded as the other gauges in my Longchamp for natural reasons, so I had this unused gauge in my house window on the sunny side to try to fade it a bit before installing, so this has been a long time project :-)

I now have the clock, which I'll install later in the center console, may have to move the radio a bit to get it to look not cramped, which involves cutting and welding, so had no time today. I think it looks pretty close to the others gauges in font etc, as opposed to many other clocks I've seen. And strangely, it works!

About the weight, I always empty the left tank first, so my own weight cancels out the right tank. BTW, often wondered why the Pantera tank wasn't on the right, for weight balance.
quote:
What I meant was the light coming on and off constantly, while the fuel sloshes around in an almost empty tank.

Ah ok, yes I understand. Normally when it comes on it stays on, but hard cornering or braking (or accelerating ;-)) can make it blink for a while.
A good conversation piece BTW, my wife and others almost screaming when driving and seeing that bright red warning light on the dash: "What's wrong?!". "Don't worry, it's a DeTomaso". I actually years ago bought blue replacements from a UK source, but when they lit up, the blue turned white, trashed that idea.
She was in a good mood until her horses lost this weekend. When she is happy I hear all kinds of things, but when she is un-happy....well the car business is not something that she recalls being "happy" in the end. You would never have thought it would end that way when I was a kid.
quote:
Originally posted by tyler5:
Yup. Dual tanks are the only way to fly! With almost 40 gallons I can make it to the store and back with my six pack. Sometimes a detour is mandatory. (before beer of course).
Cross over tube and single gauge and pump. Plenty of time to talk while filling up.

That is quite the EFI setup, who is the manufacturer or is it a custom build?
Finally got hold of a hole drill in the right size, and installed the clock. I had considered lowering the radio and have the clock in the center above the radio, but then the radio would touch the heater/AC sliders at the back, so I chose the easier solution to the right of the radio. Drilling in the leather was nerving Smiler

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_20170816_1131051

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.