Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi guys... Tom, I'm in agreement that I see in unlikely to get the Looong cross bolts out while still installed. I haven't tried this...but can't imagine it possible. You "could" in theory.. take mounts loose and jack up to change relative positions to try and find a sweet spot that those long bolts could be slid out... feasible, but have never tried. The side plates come off with the stub shafts attached. To properly change the paper gasket or the shaft seal, the plates need to come off.

There are a couple of guys here who are much more SME (subject matter expert) than I..such as Ron McCall for example...so maybe one of these other guys will see this thread and chime in with other remarks.

Last remark, I've experienced more leaks with synthetic than traditional oil.
Rob, you're right about the long crossbolts. It is NOT a shortcut! As an experiment a few years ago, I removed my crossbolts with the ZF in place..... sort of. When I got them out, the the bay brace was out, the ZF was loose on both ends. Since the long bolts came out thru the factory hole in the left inner fender, the wheel and left exhaust were also removed.

My final solution for "next time" I need to remove the lower cover, was to replace the 2 long crossbolts with 4 short 12-point bolts threaded into threaded 7075 slugs set in the ZF cover bosses. This changes the lower case reinforcement from in-compression (all the way across the cases) to in-tension from the 4 short safety-wired bolts threaded into the lower cover. Since early SBF GT-40s did not use crossbolts in their ZFs, I figured sort-of replacing them would be safe. So far, so good....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.