Skip to main content

I`d like to know how your ZFs behave... If I pull my shifter to the left, there is a fair amount of "centering force", (coming from the internal ZF compression spring on the right side, I´d presume, I have removed the detent mechanism at the shifter). All well there... However, if I pull the shifter to the right, it feels sloppy and does not want to center immediately, sometimes it even gets stuck a bit to the right.

Note that installing the detent I removed at the shifter, does not really help.

Do you have the same centering force left/ right? Does anyone know if the internal ZF springs are the same type/ rating on both sides, so to speak (they do have different part numbers)?

(The shifter in neutral is very well centered in the gate.)

Thanks/ Martin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

...The Shift ROD should Center Equally from Both Sides, With Force!
You have a Broken Spring, IN the Gearbox! Or something is Binding Rotation.
In My Experience, removing the Detent AT the Shifter, Improves the Feel of Locating the Gears, Immensely. I also Machined a Replacement Plate with NO FINGERS. The Fingers Hinder Gear Selection! Not My Opinion, A Fact!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC00004
Last edited by marlinjack
quote:
Originally posted by Piney:
Just a little follow-up to the issue. It seems it´s quite normal behaviour. I have since had the opportunity to test two other Panteras and they both had the same shifter "feel". And, actually reading the manual for the ZF, it states clearly that one spring is softer than the other. Oh well.

The spring on the shift box side of the trans is a fair amount weaker than the other.

Ron
quote:
Originally posted by Piney:
Thanks Ron!
Do you know why they (ZF) would have chosen different spring rates?
And, what is #607 in this picture ("Interlock Peg") used for?

TIA/ Martin

It's all about keeping the shifter out of reverse.( for safety) If you look at the shaft(#612),it has a notch cut into it on that end. The part # 607 is a spring loaded detent which only comes into play when the shifter is moved over into the reverse position. It is there to add additional spring pressure only for the reverse position.

Ron
And oh, whenever I wanted to select reverse or 4th/ 5th gear, the shift lever would grind along the edge of the gate. Reverse actually seems to be located further to the left than the standard gate allows (well, almost). Anyway, shaved off 4mm on each side in the gate. Much better now.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • batch_20170908_141454
Last edited by piney
Nice job on the shift gate, Piney. The only time I ran into that interference problem (on a '73), I bevel-cut the gate areas you cut out, on a 45 degree angle, for lever clearance.

On my personal Pantera (a 72-1/2 L), the shift-stick rubbing was so bad I made a new finger-less gate. The plated gate fingers are harder than the shift stick and will wear a notch in it; fixed the notch with stainless weld that then polished up good enough that I didn't need to replate the stick. I've seen wear notches that broke the shift stick.
Bosswrench, thanks, yes I thought about doing the 45 degree cut as well. I have two gates, the original factory one which was in bad shape, so I cut the fingers, and the Hall reproduction. A non-cut looking shift gate adds a nice classy touch, however, to the interior so I enjoy being able to change back and forth.

Joules, yes that could most certainly have been the case Smiler but that particular measurement was identical to the old one.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • shift_gates

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.