Skip to main content

Does anyone have a source for a stainless steel turnbuckle and adjusting nuts for the ZF shift linkage?

I am upgrading to the stainless steel flaming river u-joints and thought a stainless turnbuckle would be a good match.

I have searched for turnbuckle, screwjack, tie rod adjusting sleeve. I have searched at McMaster Carr, aircraft Spruce, multiple suspension websites, multiple Heim joint sites and I come up with nothing.

Thread size is M14x1.5 LH/RH female threads

Anyone got anything?

Larry
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by PanTTera:
Not SS, but have you considered one of these as plan B?............

http://www.pim.net/PanteraBilletTrunion11122009.htm

...THAT is NOT a Turnbuckle!! It's a Support Trunion!

Larry, I can Machine a Turnbuckle for You, Same Length, HEX in the Center 1" Across the Flats (could go 1-1/8" on the Flats), and instead of turning the Ends Straight, Taper them to a nice seat for the nuts, Stronger!. A Beautiful Piece of Art in Stainless Steel. Just the Body, you'll have to find the nuts yourself, your good on the internet..
How much is it worth for Me to Machine it? I will be into it $40. for the Left and Right 14M 1.5 Taps.

I can Machine it Exactly as the Original, with the Hex in the Center, the hex will be Imperial (Not Metric) and I would go One 'Click' Larger, all around, for More Strength, and it would Look More 'Pronounced'. There would be a delay for Ordering the Hex Stainless Steel. I think I would Make a small Batch of these, for everyone who wants one.
Last edited by marlinjack
Quella's kit always used a spherical rod end for the trunion and then modified the standard shift rod by cutting the splines off the ends and welding them onto a stainless tubing that was polished in the vicinity where it slid in the supporting rod end.

A little dry lube once or twice per year was all it took to maintain it. If the hole in the rod end was bushed with a thin bronze or oilite bushing you'd never have to touch it and it would give you more freedom in selecting the rod end and tube.

Never had a problem with mine in 15 years and the motion is very precise.

Best,
Kelly
I'm not 100% certain that stainless steel is the best choice for this application. This part absolutely needs to be as tight as possible as even the most minute movement will cause the shifting to be less than smooth. Stainless is soft and if you have ever had a stainless bolt weld itself to a stainless nut from being overtightened, you will wish that you had used a different material. Anti-seize helps greatly but is still not a complete solution.

Ron
quote:
Originally posted by r mccall:
I'm not 100% certain that stainless steel is the best choice for this application. This part absolutely needs to be as tight as possible as even the most minute movement will cause the shifting to be less than smooth. Stainless is soft and if you have ever had a stainless bolt weld itself to a stainless nut from being overtightened, you will wish that you had used a different material. Anti-seize helps greatly but is still not a complete solution.

Ron

I agree with Ron on this. The stainless alloys that are readily available to me, on bolts and nuts, the threads cross thread VERY easily and many you can not disassemble and need to be cut out.

The "generic term" of stainless steel and the term of corrosion resistant high strength material should be substituted.

Find a better material to make them from.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.