Skip to main content

Here are some photos of my recent Larry Wu H.I.D. Xenon dual projector conversion with a carbon fiber bezel. The system throws an incredible amount of light, but with a razor sharp horizontal cut off so as to not blind oncoming traffic. The system is relatively straightforward to install, the proof of which is that I managed it.

The projectors can be adjusted slightly up and down within the bucket. There is an access hole for the adjustment mechanism in the side of the bucket, but it is covered with a plug so you can't really see it in the photos. Larry supplies two specialty tools that fit in the holes. In addition, there is an adjustment on the car itself using the bolt that hits the limit switch. The idea is to first roughly level the top of the bucket with the ground using the emergency manual lift system, relocate the limit switch accordingly, make any major adjustments with the bolt and then final adjustments with the specialty tool.

Larry provides all of the labor and materials. I simply sent him my buckets, and he returned them to me ready to install as you see them in the photos. He also supplied a complete wiring harness, with connectors, fuses and relays.

I find the new lights dramatically change the appearance of the car, and give it a much more contemporary look. More importantly, however, I am now able to actually see when I drive at night.

Attachments

Images (7)
  • Cnv0010
  • Cnv0013
  • Cnv0014
  • Cnv0015
  • Cnv0016
  • Cnv0017
  • Cnv0018
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Shotgunrooms:

Larry resides in Burlingame, California, and has two e-mail addresses you can reach him at:

LiTtOFreAkYDeViL@aol.com
littodevil@gmail.com

He sometimes does not receive e-mails sent to the first address because his in box fills up with mail from the DeTomaso e-mail forum. Therefore, you may want to try the second address first.

I do not believe in posting people's personal information, so if you want his phone number or mailing address then send me an e-mail at phavlik@awink.com

My cost was $2,000, but you really should speak to Larry about this. Now that he has the bezel mold and has done the design work on mine, I expect he will be able to do the conversions much more quickly and easily. On the other hand, I know my project was a lot more work than he had expected, so he may need to charge more to make it worth his while.

Keep in mind, however, that the other vendors offering HID conversions leave you to cut your own buckets and mount the system yourself. Also be careful when comparing to find out whether the other vendors are offering a true dual HID system or not, because the high beam may be just a halogen projector(Larry offers that option as well, but at a much lower cost - see the previous threads on this topic on this bulletin board). I would also ask about the quality of HID projector they use. Larry uses Honda S2000 projectors for his HID low beam/halogen high beam system, and TSX projectors for the dual HID system -- top quality components, as I understand it.

I should note that my material costs were higher than you will likely need to pay, because I asked Larry to install a more powerful 50 watt bulb and ballast for the high beam (the normal bulb/ballast is 35 watts).
Last edited by peterh

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.