Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Ben.
These pictures are from the May / June issue of the "World Sportscars" magazine. 13 pages and many pictures about this GTSE Spider and a black GT5-S Pantera. Both cars are to see on the cover too.
I have no idea how many they have made, but I think not much more than a handful.
I know only of 3 Spiders, 2 from England and 1 from Germany.
The one and only GTSE Spider I have seen in person, was the german car during a factory meeting in Modena.
Dark blue metallic paint and creme leather inside, very tasteful.
Franz
This is car #3311, a 1988 belonging to Rick Lee in England. The spring 2002 PI magazine has a big article on Rick's car, pages 28-31. It is the last serial number used on a Longchamp, though #3309 was the last car sold in 1988 to Derek Williams, also in England.

The factory says there were 14 spyders made, some as series I cars, but most are series II. Two of them are RHD. I know of 9 spyders, some have been converted by the owners.

I don't know how many GTSE cars were made, I haven't seen an official definition of the differences between a GTS and a GTSE. I know of 3 GTSE cars, Rick's, a 1988 owned by Phil Stebbings in England and my 1978 #3001, that the factory says they converted to a GTSE in 1985 before selling it to Kirk Evans in the US.

Roland, do you know the serial number of Fritz Lorenz's car?

Scott
I gather that Ric Lee still owns the GTSE in question albeit the car was nominally for sale a while ago so I was told. I heard it mentioned the figure being sought was £70k but have no idea how true that is.

I think the GTSE came as a result of De Tomaso using some remaining Longchamp shells they had left at the factory after production officially ceased in 1985.

From recollection you had to first but a GTSE and then have it sent to Pavesi sp. who would then relieve you of a huge amount of money (again from recollection about £20k) and turn it into a convertible.

In the most recent DTDC (British owners club) there was an article on the red hardtop GTSE found elsewhere on this board.

One interesting point to note with the GTSE is that certainly at least one of them had an Australian sourced cast iron Nascar block. Apparently the Longchamp couldn’t take a Windsor due to the heads and exhaust manifolds being at a different angle which would have meant a major revamp of the engine bay.

I gather this alone makes the engine quite a valuable proposition being able to rev to 8000 with the all the associated tuning benefit that it offers. No doubt the American contingent will know much more about this than somebody brought up on Ford X Flows!!

I’ve got a copy of the magazine in question, May / June 1989 edition of World Sprtscars which is now long gone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.