Reply to "The headlight motor is too hot to touch"

Here is a bit more info. I pulled the power wire off of the headlight motor and checked the voltage with the ignition OFF (not even with the key in the switch) and the headlight switch OFF. Only the battery connected. There is 12V being supplied to the motor wire. Assuming this is not suppose to be that way, this suggests that for a pre-L the only direct source comes from the ignition switch. The headlight switch, although "upstream" from the ignition switch, only actuates the relay and is not directly connected to the motor. This according to the above circuit diagram.

Bosswrench said once that the motor is internally grounded but I don't see how that matches the above wiring diagram that shows the motor grounded after the limit switch. But I'm not good at reading such diagrams.

So it seems that possibly the ignition switch, even when off is still supplying 12V to the motor (and everything else?), however, my battery stays charged. Maybe it is a very recent thing. So I have several things to study: 1) ignition switch, headlight switch, headlight relay, and maybe the limit switches.

Any ideas where to start? The relay seems easiest just by listening.
×
×
×
×