Skip to main content

Going well with my rebuild and now I have at last got the new A/C hoses, cleaned the dryer.
Stepped back and admired the view.
So I pulled the old compressor from under the bench where it had sat since last Autumn, and decided to give it a lick of paint etc etc.
Then I found it had arranged its own air conditioning system………………Bugger![url=http://s275.photobucket.com/user/pfenlon/me
[/url]

I just remembered taking this last pic in march 2013, I wondered why the belt was broken!!!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Dear Peter,

Oh, bloody hell. I find that most of my Pantera projects are best described as, "two steps forward and one step back", although some of them tend toward, "one step forward and two steps back". Bad news: the compressor is shot. Good news: it's the perfect time bolt in a new compressor.

Stiff upper lip, Chuck Engles
You're going to have to drive over to York to see if you can get another one!

Sorry to hear about this one too!

YOur AC setup and engine bay looks great.

Are you retired? How do you make such progress?

I spent two hours yesterday just buying petcocks, bolts, and fabrication metal. None of that gets me much closer to completing my projects.
Peter, this isn't a step backwards, it's a blessing in disguise. The best thing for you to do is upgrade to a rotary compressor. The model that's usually recommended is a Sanden SD-508. All you need to install it in place of the old York is a York to Sanden adapter plate, which all A/C parts suppliers will have.

IPSCO has the adapter plates too. IPSCO also has an A/C idler pulley upgrade kit which makes setting belt tension a breeze.
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
You're going to have to drive over to York to see if you can get another one!

Sorry to hear about this one too!

YOur AC setup and engine bay looks great.

Are you retired? How do you make such progress?

I spent two hours yesterday just buying petcocks, bolts, and fabrication metal. None of that gets me much closer to completing my projects.

Yes I am retired Rocky, but I took out the engine last summer and only to tidy up the engine bay, but then the suspension I stripped and had the framework powder coated, and fitted all new bushes an ball joints from the Maserati firm, that was when I found rusty grot in both inner rear wings so that had to be sorted luckily I have a pal who is a pro welder, a really old school metal fabricator is also close by, Bill has really helped, and to save money too. I must have covered literally thousands of miles taking and collecting parts from the platers, coaters trimmers etc etc I still haven't finished mu old Triumph 500 speed twin motor cycle, but thats another story.
Sadly, I am to postpone the A/C system for a good while, the expense is a problem sometimes and I know it would be good to buy the new style compressor, other jobs are more important.

The bottomless pit of money just doesn't exist. but I am fortunate enough to live somewhere where we need a heater more than an A/C.

today I filled the system with Water/Anti freeze and was so pleased that no leaks were apparent. so went on to fill the engine with oil, then started to fit the rear wheels and get the old girl back on all four wheels when I saw the oil leaking in a steady stream on the garage floor, I had had the sump powder coated in Ford blue, but forgot the copper washer on the sump plug, Yes I am a dipstick!!!!
Peter, if you look on eBay, you should be able to find a new rotary compressor with the York-to-Sanden adapter plate for less than what it would cost to take your Wife out for dinner. I'm also sure you could find it in the UK, so shipping from the USA wouldn't be a factor.

Even in bad weather, it's nice to be able to defog your windshield with the help of A/C.
quote:
Originally posted by David_Nunn:
Peter, if you look on eBay, you should be able to find a new rotary compressor with the York-to-Sanden adapter plate for less than what it would cost to take your Wife out for dinner. I'm also sure you could find it in the UK, so shipping from the USA wouldn't be a factor.

Even in bad weather, it's nice to be able to defog your windshield with the help of A/C.

David, thanks for the info on the sander Ebay compressor, I did look on Ebay UK last night but all the ones for sale were from the USA, but If your sure the prices are reasonable I will keep on looking on both ebay sites, UK @ USA.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.