Skip to main content

Well, I reached the 150,000 milestone a few days ago....I didn't notice it for a couple days after the fact and snapped the photo of the odometer. Funny thing about it though, you would never know that it wasn't 50,000 unless I told you. Just goes to show you that driving your Pantera doesn't make it show its age....the design is timeless.

I have always said that I would never sell the Pantera but on the day it turned 150,000 miles, I was at a bookstore parking lot with it and when I came out of the store there was someone looking at the car (common occurance). Our conversation went something like this:

Him: Wow, awesome car!
Me: Thanks, I have way to much fun with it! (my normal response to most questions about it).
Him: What's it worth...about $200K?
Me: (......pausing).......SOLD!

Would I have sold it for $200K? I would have been crazy not to, but I would have immediately looked for a replacement. Although, I sure do like my car....it has a million memories tied to it.

I can't think of another car that I would rather:

Take to the grocery store

Take to the race track

Go to the bank

Get free oil changes (OK, only once)

Road racing at the Silver State Classic

Go get fast food

Go drag racing

Carve up incredible mountain roads

Go to Walmart

Take the family to Disneyland (that was fun!)

Spend 20 minutes at the gas station fueling up and answering questions (love that)

Keep up with (and passing) most any new exotic car on the road (now have 15,000 miles on the 408 stroker!)

6000 mile road trip in 16 days

Meet some of the greatest people on earth because of this incredible exotic car

Over the past 21 years of my Pantera ownership, I have done all the above and so much more. To this day, I still get butterfly's in my stomach in anticipation of the fun I will have driving it that day. What more could I possibly ask of ANY car, let alone something as cool as a Pantera?

After 42 years, the Pantera still looks like a million bucks (or at least $200K)

You always hear about the LOW mileage Panteras out there but don't hear much about the high mileage ones (for sake of argument, lets call 100K "high mileage" for a Pantera).

I know of several Panteras that are 200,000 miles and over (I think Mats Gorsky in Sweden has nearly 300,000 on his and he bought his new). Anyone you know of out there who thinks they own or know of someone who owns the worlds highest mileage Pantera?

I would love to hear about it!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by 4NHOTROD:
The car is incredible but its guys like you that make it even more. You get out there and have fun with it and don't just park it away as a showpiece.
Way to go and I hope you get another 150,000 out of her.

First let me say how much I have enjoyed seeing the video's of you flogging your incredible Pantera at the races....love it!

I would love to be able to put at least another 150K on the Pantera. I should be able to reach that goal when I retire (someday!)
quote:
Originally posted by George P:
Congrats Jim

the folks, like you, who put high mileage on their Panteras, are my heroes and my inspirations. Thanks for sharing the story.

I too would love to hear stories from those of you out there who have logged high mileage on your De Tomaso automobiles.

I am honored to be held in such high esteem Smiler
I will do my best to continue racking up the miles and smiles (currently getting at least 30 "smiles" per gallon).
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Charlton:
Jim, Congratulations! That is a huge milestone in any car and a great testament to your dedication to living life and to enjoying your Pantera.

Mark

Mark,

Have to say that without a doubt, the photos you take of your cars are incredible....the best I have ever seen. The combination of the incredible cars along with fantastic scenery is a visual feast for the eyes...thank you!

It also makes me want to point the Pantera north someday and check out Canada once again. We have driven to Prince Edward Island from our home (7000 miles that time) but unfortunately, it wasn't in the Pantera (an E150 conversion van has lots of room for 6 people but is seriously lacking in the "fun" department).
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
My car just turned over 100K Miles a few months ago. Not quite in the 150K league, but I am getting there.

I have to thank my meticulous previous owner for the great condition of the vehicle. He really did a great job with it.

I hope I can continue the tradition.

Rocky

Rocky,

Great start! I know you got your Pantera recently and I am glad to see it is in good hands and you are enjoying it. It doesn't hurt that your name is Rocky, either....that was the name of the good friend of mine who had taken such good care of my Pantera before I took the reins from him. He was 80 years old and owned no slow cars....he even rode a Ninja motorcycle.
I hope to be half as cool has he was when I hit 80 burn rubber

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.