Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This looks an awful lot like the goose that was for sale at Gullwing Motorcars in NY a couple of years ago. I had them send me pictures & it looks to have the same questionable areas as this car. That car was all there, but looked like it needed a lot of work to be "right". if I remember right, it was in the 22K to 26K range.
Adams,

Bare metal restoration of the balck Mangusta on ebay was finished just last August by Steve Wilkinson, it has virtually zero miles on it since restoration, and it has been consigned to PI Motorsports to sell it on behalf of the current owner.

It is in better than show room condition, absolutely stunning. Anyone that knows Steve Wilkinson's work will understand. Steve is not the cheapest shop, but Steve is a perfectionist, and insists on doing things "right". The soft tan leather interior, the flawless black paint, the engine compartment are all just gorgeous.

I don't follow the Mangusta market, I have no idea what the top value for a Mangusta would be, but whatever it is, this one is in that bracket. I would suggest if this car interests anybody, to make a firm offer at 90% of the asking price.

cowboy from hell
Last edited by George P
I think I went rhetorical there. When I read the "6 figure restoration" I for one don't doubt it for a second, so for anyone remotely CONSIDERING taking on a project and "trying" to make it into this, then 'yes', it is indeed a better value.

The restored muscle car craze has taught us all that people want "done" instead of "undone", up to and including quantified/identified counterfeits.

Amazing that an essentially perfect Mangusta will "only" bring what a 440 6 Pack Cuda would bring. I know "different strokes" but still, just incredible. In THAT light - to me - the restored 'goose is even more of a buy.
quote:
Originally posted by PanteraDoug:
I think that the suggestion about the muscle car market being overpriced and falling is aimed at the Mopars.
I for one am not going to pay $1million for a plum crazzy 4 door Hemi Taxicab.

You know, that sentiment is being spread around a bit. I re-watched some of Barrett Jackson (day 2 I think) last night and kept bumping my jaw on the coffee table... 6 figure Pontiac Judges, Shelby "re-creations", and the omni-present big dollar Mopars.

Then I watch Jay Leno's monalogue, where he mentions "Hey, ever heard of a Monteverdi? Go to Jay's Garage and check it out..."

So I did.

Many of you already know what Peter Monteverdi did in the 70's, but suffice to say, he had the same "hybrid" idea as many others - American power in a European wrapper. Sound familiar?

Anyway, on Jay's video he says something like, "So this is basically like a 440 Road Runner, that looks better, rides better, handles better, stops better... I think the values will almost certainly go up from here..."

Again, that's a PARAPHRASE but in essence correct, and an "accurate" (my opinion) assessment of the current market's misstep. Time will only tell, but I feel a slide coming.

So, back on topic with the 'Goose on ebay. Handbuilt, gorgeous, rare, Ford powered, and darn near perfect... what's not to love and pay 'up' for? I believe this'll be a wise move in the years ahead.

And, to toss another tidbit in here - Keith Martin's price guide shows Panteras up 45%. It may not be popular for me to say this, but I for one am glad.

No, not because they become "less affordable" but because they deserve to be "more appreciated".

In keeping with that sentiment, "Go Goose go!"
quote:
It may not be popular for me to say this, but I for one am glad. No, not because they become "less affordable" but because they deserve to be "more appreciated".

Very nicely put; I totally agree. Another benefit of appreciating prices is that more people will be able to justify doing a proper restoration or restomod rather than most of the junky restorations seen on many cars. This, in turn, will keep the Pantera vendors in business to support the rest of us.
Link copied to your clipboard.