Skip to main content

I have found a 71...it is a driver has had several mods made: Rectangular headlights, dropped floorpan, heavyduty cooling system, Upgraded and Safety Wired Transaxle, Needs A/C upgraded..is $xxxxx a good price, 47,000 miles. Red paint body looks good,interior looks good and looks stock, going to inspect this weekend...Any tips or advice I would really appreciate.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Price is relative. And in the Panteras case its directly related to how much rust it has....

Every car I have seen that is south of $30k has had more rust than I would tackle...but thats me. Some would rather spend time fixing the rust than spending the dollars.

Check the body carefully for any signs of cancer. Look at the radiator supports, A pillars where it meets the body, and ALL suspension attachment points (uprights, A arms etc), as well as all the structural pieces in and around the engine bay. If the car is in MI and it has not been restored and/or very well cared for it has rust somewhere. If you cannot find any I would be more suspicious that someone might be trying to cover it up....ask lots more questions.

$23k could be a great deal but it could be a nightmare.....

Take pictures when you go look and post them here. That will help us help you.

Good luck.

Miles

Oh yeah....check the ZF. Make sure all is as it should be as fixing one of those will take some cash and time.
Last edited by fahrenheit351
Jeff, be sure to check out Mike Daily's site (www.panteraplace.com) if you haven't already. It was a great help to me and indeed was partly why I decided that I could own a Pantera. Knowing that there was such a great online knowledge source (along with this Forum, of course) reassured me that if I got into trouble, help would not be far away. I am happy to say that after four years of ownership, that is still true. The cars are great and the community is even better! Jump in!
Also check out my How to Buy page and print out the Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist:
http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/how_to_buy.htm

Also, see Mike Dailey's Pantera Place website to learn where to look for rust. Mike Dailey's buying tips are linked from this page above too.

Keep us posted on what you find. If the car is relatively rust free. this could be quite a deal.
Garth, Mike, Thanks for the advice I printed off a couple of the buyer tips and inspection checklist.
On a little different note my wife noticed that the Orange Pantera that that Lincoln Mercury dealer has for sale is serial number 1716, pretty cool I thought that the car Im looking at's sister is sitting there still going strong.
Will keep you posted.
Jeff
The playmate of the year was given a pink pantera...Yes, your car was once owned by a playmate! There is a picture of her in the magzine with your car, the one noted above. She is quoted to say, "I really can't wait to drive it around Los Angeles, but I really can't wait to take it to Palm Springs......if only they'd hike the speed limit on the San Bernadino Freeway, I could make it in half the time because the Pantera will go to 150 miles per hour."

John
Link copied to your clipboard.