Skip to main content

1972 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 with professionally installed Wide Body GT-5 body panels that were added after the car left the factory. The body panels were installed to De Tomaso factory specifications.
Body Beautifully blended flares on rust free body, Delta wing, hood vents, Lambo Pearl Orange base coat/clear. Condition of paint is about 8.5 on a 1-10 scale. Smoothed and detailed engine bay with hoses and electrical rerouted to fender wells. Adjustable AQi 12-550 coil over shocks, New 345/35ZR15 Yokohama rear tires, 285/40ZR15 Yokohama Front tires. Stainless steel brake lines, New back up switch, Lecarra Steering Wheel, Rotary A/C compressor, (A/C currently not charged) New Optima Red Top battery, New upgraded ATO fuse pannel, New upgraded interior with new carpet, headliner, Stereo with CD, MP3 and Roof mounted soundbar. 43,000mile car with only 100 miles on engine.
Engine 351C bored and stroked to 393 with Eagle Stroker kit, Eldebrock Performer intake, Centerforce Aluminum Flywheel, Centerforce double sided clutch kit, Eldebrock high flow water pump, High flow oil pump, Crower Hyd. Roller cam, Roller Rockers, electric fuel pump, Holly 750 double pumper, big bore headers with new Mind Train Exhaust, New high torque starter, Spicer Half shafts. Billet wheelhouse spreader bar, fuel pressure gauge, and 2 water temp gauges. New radiator fans 1250 CFM, Engine has less than 100 miles since total rebuild. Produces estimated 500HP
General This car gets all kind of attention. It does great at local cruise ins and local car shows. Runs and drives great, ZF trans shifts smooth, stops on a dime. The undercarriage and suspension is very solid, no rust, solid floors, rockers, sills and frame rails.
I even have pictures of the car before paint for inspection.
Price is $55,000 OBO
Contact Jay at (239) 438-5535
or PM me
Videos at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...index=6&feature=plcp

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 72_pantera_500_LR_cars_192
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That was the first time I've been to that Show/Cruzin. I was shocked to see so many cars, then again, I don't get out much. One of FT. Myers finest followed me all the way home. I don't know if he was looking over the car or waiting for me to do something stupid (there is a good chance of that happening almost anytime).
I'll be working too late to make it there next week, but maybe the week after.
It does show well and always draws a crowd

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Pantera_at_show_500_LR_DSC02544
Last edited by quickitty
Thank you JP, I am so looking forward to seeing your Pantera on Speed Channel in March!!

quote:
Originally posted by champ:
I really wonder, why 55k car has a non filled ac.

You are from Europe, All the people from Europe tell me is that they would pull the A/C out of the car as it adds NO VALUE.

Mark is right, A/C or not, the car is priced to sell.
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:
Thank you JP, I am so looking forward to seeing your Pantera on Speed Channel in March!!

quote:

You are from Europe, All the people from Europe tell me is that they would pull the A/C out of the car as it adds NO VALUE.

Ok, thank you, your answer just reflects, that you don't take care on a 50 bucks repair.
Btw, last Europeen meeting in Spa: 124 DeTomaso cars from eight different europeen countries: 74 working ac's. Not bad for a useless part, or?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Quickitty:

quote:

Ok, thank you, your answer just reflects, that you don't take care on a 50 bucks repair.
Btw, last Europeen meeting in Spa: 124 DeTomaso cars from eight different europeen countries: 74 working ac's. Not bad for a useless part, or?

Champ ... i was there with my GT5S... nobody asked me if my A/C was working ... Big Grin....
Champ
You are intitled to your feeling and thoughts of the current condition of my A/C. I respect that you feel you need to make your point.

I don't however feel the need to dignify how the thread has gone with any further comments on the issue.

Thanks
Jay

Joe, thank you for the kind offer. It has actully been changed to R-134A and a Rotary compressor. It needs a new dryer and adaptors for the hoses. Just reached the point of diminishing returns. I could charge the system and gold plate the Compressor and it won't bring a penny more for the car. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by No Quarter:
Sitting in traffic on a hot day with windows rolled up and being comfortable is cool (sorry). And I'm old school, if it's there, it has to work.

I see your point but, that is what my daily driver is for.

In this case, because the car is for sale. I think I am damed if I do, and damed if I don't.
Will I recoup the money spent to fix it? surely not.
Will it sell faster, not really.
Otherwise, yea, I would probably fix it.
I've found that when selling a car, the argument "everything works" goes a long way. I guess from a buyer's pov, if the seller didn't fix this, could there be other things he didn't fix either? Did he bother to service it properly? Or couldn't he afford to give it proper maintenance?

I know you did, but the buyer can be uncertain
Over the years, I have owned (bought) 6 panteras. Not 1 of them had working A/C when I bought them.
I still have 2, sold 3 again with A/C not working, 1 with A/C working only to find out later that the expansion valve clogged a week after it sold.

I do understand your point, and I fully accept that someone may look at the car and say that they do not feel comfortable buying the car because the A/C does not work. I am okay with that.

There are so many positive aspects to this car that if someone can not get past the fact that the A/C doesn't work, then I think I would rather they buy someone elses car. Again I am totally okay with that.

I built this car for myself the way I wanted it and personally I was afraid that when the time came to sell it, the color would scare people away. Too wild or something. BTW the color suits this car perfect, provides personality and perspective. I am actually pleased to hear the only objection is the A/C, and not the color.
Last edited by quickitty
The color orange that you chose for your Pantera would look absolutely horrible on just about any other car. Can you imagine driving around in a Toyota Camry with bright orange paint? But with an Italian exotic body like the Pantera, it looks spectacular. I've noticed the same thing on Lambo's. I've seen Lambo's in lime green, bright orange and other colors that just wouldn't work with other cars. But on the Lambo these colors look great. I think your car awesome Jay, and I believe all the cosmetic choices you made with your car reflects the tasteful end result that anyone would be proud of. Its really a beautiful car all the way around. As for the A/C not working, I don't see that as a big deal. I'm quite surprised so many people are evening mentioning it actually.

Good luck with the sale of your car.

David
quote:
ridiculous

...is a strong word, especially when seconded by someone who on a DeTomaso forum have a non-DeTomaso car as avatar Wink Just joking

Quickitty, I was just trying to help you sell your beautiful car. If you find a buyer like us on this forum, we fix things ourself, it's no issue. But for a virgin, a first time Pantera buyer, it might make a difference. Enough said about A/C, good luck in selling, and be prepared with a Kleenex for the tears when you stand there seeing the buyer drive away in your car... Frowner
I have to confess something..........

I've owned many old cars including 3 panteras.

Did the A/C or even the radio worked on any of these cars ? I wouldn't know. Never tried it. Just love to hear the sound windows open. Sorry for the purists but these kind of cars are all about the feeling of a real ride. If I want a cool atmosphere with a symphonic orchestra on the background without any engine noise, I'll take my modern car.....

btw : Like the car if it drives as good as it looks, it's a bargain.
Mikael
Thanks, I know you are just trying to help and in almost any other circumstance, I would take your advise.
I do agree on your feeling about seeing the car go, I have just agreed on a sale and should be recieving a deposit tonight. I have many mixed feelings about letting it go. I find it best to look forward to doing my next project. Currently working on a frame off resto of my 66 vette, then back to panteras with a Group 4. I do love to work on these cars.
Link copied to your clipboard.