Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Exotic Classics is honored to offer this very rare a very fast 1974 DeTomaso Pantera GTS. Once owned and setup by Pantera racecar driver Walter Dethier. One of only 138 imported into the US in 1974. The 1974 Pantera GTS was considered the fastest production car manufactured in 1974. Some of the history of the second owner, Mr. Dethier, was that he acquired this GTS in 1977 from its original owner which had only 15,000 miles on the odometer. Also, Mr. Dethier being a factory driver, wanted to set his new GTS up similar to the racecars that he drove for Pantera. He upgraded and installed injected Weber carburetors, headers, as well as brakes and suspension. Dethier also performed a mild engine refresh in 1982, and a full rebuild 400 miles ago in 2010. This service also included a new clutch and a rebuild of the 5-speed ZF gearbox. During his 33 years of ownership, the Pantera has been resprayed once, and the leather and carpets redone as well. Finally, Dethier also installed custom carbon fiber front and rear decklids. The original black decklids are available with the car.

Powered by a 5.8 litre 351 Ford Cleveland engine. The solid lifter, 4 bolt main, was mated to a 5-speed gated ZF gearbox. With four two-barrel injected Weber carburetors and high rise manifold. The 351 Cleveland is putting out 435HP and has a top speed of 170MPH.The Ghia design body was fitted with factory pop riveted fiberglass fender flares, European bumpers and factory Campagnolo wheels. Other features include unibody construction, four-wheel independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, power windows, AC, power disc brakes.

All of the US 1974 Pantera GTS imported into the US were painted dark red. Current miles are 37,034. Over the years Exotic Classics has sold many Panteras, however this GTS is probably the best driving Pantera we have ever represented. Excellent, rust-free Panteras are very hard to find, and with only 110 imported into the US this is certainly not the one to miss!

Questions or concerns please call or text me 516-655-0940
quote:
Originally posted by king:
fyi....all of the 1974 pantera gts that were imported into the united states were either silver,maroon or goldenrod yellow. if your gts is red like the pictures show it must be a european model.beautiful car.just my 2 cents for whatever its worth, mike...

Mike, the serial number is showing a GT in it. A Euro GTS would not have that. Only a US GTS does.

I don't know if the seller is still claiming the car to be 100% original BUT to my knowledge NO US Panteras were equipped from Detomaso with 10" Campis in the back.

In fact, if you look in the US Pantera parts book, there is NO part number for them through the Ford system.

Personally I do remember seeing several US GTS cars new, and those ALL had the 10's on them.

So I guess this is all open to debate but I will say one thing, the Marti report on them WILL NOT show 10" Campis on the window sticker.

What colors were available? Don't ask me. Never saw a yellow or a red. Just Silver. Maybe a very dark red or maroon? They weren't exactly common and the ones I saw were all hovering around Rockland County and Bob Grossman's "exotic" car dealership. More often then not going the opposite direction and disappearing rapidly.

Shouldn't the blacked out paint show metallic in it for a factory US GTS?

It isn't just wheels. US cars had the big bumpers. Never had burlwood dash boards.

I suppose post the Marti report for documentation on those kind of claims?

To me it stands as it is without the necessity of making any kind of exaggerations at all which you can not defend.

Sales people often stir a hornets nest over making inaccurate claims because of their exuberance to sell. I get that. It isn't necessary and it just throws up a caution flag.

This one certainly has some of the "flavor" of the original for sure but is hardly original as shown now.

Want me to start listing the obvious? Oh...I guess I already started that right? Did I mention US cars never had the European roof antenna?

Nice car. Very nice car. It stands VERY well by itself without false claims, is a US GTS and IS going to sell on that. No need to have Pinocchio's nose growing needlessly. Wink

Personally I don't think the price is out of line at all from what I see either.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 74_US_GTS_serial_number
Last edited by panteradoug
quote:
Originally posted by LF - TP 2511:
quote:
Beautifully preserved 1974 Pantera for sale.
37,000 miles, all original

Has the whole world gone mad?

I guess I missed the memo on the change made to the definition of the phrase - "all original"

Would YOU buy a car from a seller who is so obviously out of touch with reality??

Pass

Larry

Many, many deviations from 'all original' for sure. Wood trim, blacked bumpers, carburetion (or injection, depending on which sentence you read), US VIN but a Euro antenna, etc.

Then there's 'Fastest Production Car', so I wonder if anyone told Road & Track about this?

A great car deserves a knowledgeable representative, not a partially informed salesperson.
Last edited by ahudson
quote:
Originally posted by LF - TP 2511:
quote:
Beautifully preserved 1974 Pantera for sale.
37,000 miles, all original

Has the whole world gone mad?

I guess I missed the memo on the change made to the definition of the phrase - "all original"

Would YOU buy a car from a seller who is so obviously out of touch with reality??

Pass

Larry

I seriously doubt that anyone is going to buy a Pantera who is not knowledgeable on the Marque?

Salesman are salesman. They are kind of like "Presidential Candidates". They will make all sorts of nonsensical statements and promises that they can't deliver upon.

It's obvious that the critics are not going to buy this car.

I don't understand the rhetoric here? Are you trying to intimidate the seller to get a better price on a car that you are not going to buy anyway? What's up with that?

Considering the documented recent trend in selling prices already talked about here on this Forum, the price is not out of line.

Maybe the trend in this country IS just to be a bully just like the current Presidential Candidates?

Are you going to have the entire White House Press corps banned for asking questions that the people want to know about?

I don't get it?
quote:
Knowledgeable posters can't stand to see a lying salesman/politician dupe the innocent. Seems like good public service to me: warn the unwitting the car is NOT what it is claimed to be.

There is a famous axiom ascribed to Robert Heinlein (Heinlein's Razor) - "Never ascribe to avarice what can adequately be explained by ignorance".....

It is easy for someone not 100% familiar with our vehicles to type up a bunch of words - of course they would want to post them on this site.

I agree with "Caveat Emptor" (Let the buyer beware), but on the other hand, this looks like a very nice car that I would like to own.

Anyway - It makes sense to point out discrepancies between the write-up and the photos... but maybe in a slightly less adversarial manner?

Rocky

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.