Skip to main content

I've always wanted a Pantera and recently came across this one on the web at Gateway cars. http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/enter.asp

Is anyone out there familiar with this car or seen it in person? It looks beautiful in the pictures, sounds right, but the fact that it has been "widened" scares me. I hope they merely mean the wheel wells and not the entire car! Here is the descrition from the web site. Thanks for any information you can pass on.
brian.ferrar@compaq.com

This ONE OF A KIND professionally customized 1974 Pantera has been widened and modified with a new 351 Cleveland engine with Nitrous, Performance aluminum intake, Holly carb and fuel pump, Performance ignition, Aluma-Kote headers, the engine has less than 1,000 miles on it with a performance cam and lifters. The ZF transmission has been polished out with the bell housing, all chrome drive line and running gear, custom vent hood, newer urethane paint, updated cooling and braking system, new interior, new tires. Features include: air conditioning, aluminum wheels, AM/FM cassette radio, cloth interior, performance tires, power brakes, power windows, radial tires and vinyl interior. 5 speed manual transmission. 1000 miles since rebuild.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"Widened" appears to refer to the rear quarter panels to try to give it some kind of funky custom look. I would be concerned that they have simply covered a rocker-rust problem by doing this. It also appears to have some kind of custom, fixed headlights under glass. Hmmmmmmm . . .
I first saw this car over 15 years ago at the Pantera Summit Meeting we chaired in Cambria, California. The gentleman that built the car, Mark Parsons of Orcutt, California proudly unveiled it. The wide body look on the rear was copied off (at least I believe) our Group 5 Pantera, Whiplash. The paint and body plus engine were of a very high standard. The headlight treatment was and still is most unusual. I believe that the car was built from a wreck perhaps a burn down, if I recall. Some months later, the owner put the car up for sale for $35,000.00 which was a lot back then. Subsequently, he called me and was trying to sell the car for a very nominal amount due to financial problems, like $15,000.00. I was sorry I didn't purchase it, but circumstances didn't permit it. Sadly, Mr. Parsons committed suicide and the whereabouts of the car became unknown, until now. Part of the fun of owning a Pantera is the way owners modify them to their tastes. This causes purists to pull their hair out. I have learned to find beauty in almost all cars. Thus, I can appreciate how you might be turned on to this car's styling. If you do purchase the car, please let us know. I would like to update this car in our magazine.
Cordially, Dave Adler Pantera International
That's a very interesting version. I like the headlight treatment, but the little driving lights hanging on the valance have got to go...before they get crushed.

Hmmmmmmm, not so sure I'd want a bottle of nitrous sitting in front of me in case of any kind of front end collision. Ugly thought!
Regards list,
I just made a deal to buy MY Pantera.
But I passed on one that was listed on Ebay because I wouldnt bid on a car I had not inspected.
The bid met his reserve price, but feel thru.
I dont think the high bidder was serious.
So, he hasnt relisted. Probably from the bad Ebay experience.
It was listed as a 1974 13000 original mile car with upgrades.
Heres his Email addy for anyone who might be interested..

jmac_3663@yahoo.com
Thanks Dan,

I'm waiting to hear about a particular work situation, but should know as of mid-March. If the car is still there, I would indeed take you up on your offer. Regards,
Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Jones:
I live in St. Louis and could check the car out if your are serious about it.

Dan Jones

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Perry:
I seen this car many years ago...and it's as nice as described. If you're into a one-of-a-kind-look then this car is for you! Last I checked the price has been lowered.

The price has been lowered to $28,995. I may be mistaken but didn't they stop using that dash in early 1973, yet this car is listed as a 1974. Maybe it was the victim of a fire.
Link copied to your clipboard.