Skip to main content

Hemmings contains advertisement on 1987 GT5S, ex Carroll Shelby car, white with black interior, located in Virginia. Seller telephonically advised that car had 9,100 miles and that he was asking $49,500 firm. After many conversations and assurances by owner about condition of car, I made reservations for a one way ticket from South Fl to VA. In addition, made arrangements with broker for funds transfer from my account in the event of executed sale. Based on what was said, decided to drive car home. (I know this sounds ill-advised, but I have done it before with a Pantera I drove from NV to FL. I like adventures.) Arrived in VA, 3 Dec 2001, placed car on stands and examined inside, outside and underside. In addition, took for test drive. Immediately after test drive, returned to airport and made arrangements for return trip to Fl. If you are considering purchasing THIS GT5S, strongly suggest you e-mail me at UFO74@aol.com, I will provide my telephone No. and we can agree upon a time so that I will be home when you call. I had another long time Pantera owner with me when I examined the car. He also drove the car. So you can get a second opinion.

[This message has been edited by Jay Allen (edited 12-06-2001).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the world of Pantera's.

I know if I had it all over again to do, I should of bought a 2001 ZO6 Corvette.

My experience with sellers, parts vendors and mechanic�s has not been worth the money, the hassle, the aggravation, or the time wasted. What a pain in the butt it's been.

I know I will never make this mistake again.

quote:
Originally posted by Jay Allen:
Hemmings contains advertisement on 1987 GT5S, ex Carroll Shelby car, white with black interior, located in Virginia. Seller telephonically advised that car had 9,100 miles and that he was asking $49,500 firm. After many conversations and assurances by owner about condition of car, I made reservations for a one way ticket from South Fl to VA. In addition, made arrangements with broker for funds transfer from my account in the event of executed sale. Based on what was said, decided to drive car home. (I know this sounds ill-advised, but I have done it before with a Pantera I drove from NV to FL. I like adventures.) Arrived in VA, 3 Dec 2001, placed car on stands and examined inside, outside and underside. In addition, took for test drive. Immediately after test drive, returned to airport and made arrangements for return trip to Fl. If you are considering purchasing THIS GT5S, strongly suggest you e-mail me at UFO74@aol.com, I will provide my telephone No. and we can agree upon a time so that I will be home when you call. I had another long time Pantera owner with me when I examined the car. He also drove the car. So you can get a second opinion.

[This message has been edited by Jay Allen (edited 12-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Coz (edited 12-09-2001).]
Just fustrated Mike by most of the people I've dealt with from the buying to the rebuilding of my 81 GT5.

Just has'nt been worth the hassle, the money or the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dailey:
Coz,

From your post above I can�t tell for sure what you are unhappy about? You�re having problems with your Corvette and the GM dealer mechanics? Are you comparing a 30 year old Pantera to an appliance like a Corvette?

I came close to buying a P-car several times but after talking to several current and past owners I decided to buy a Superformance Cobra instead. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are some great cars out there for sale but I think they are few and far between. Plus with the Cobra I have a brand new car compared to a 30 year old car. Just my 2 cents!!

Brian
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Newell:
I came close to buying a P-car several times but after talking to several current and past owners I decided to buy a Superformance Cobra instead. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are some great cars out there for sale but I think they are few and far between. Plus with the Cobra I have a brand new car compared to a 30 year old car. Just my 2 cents!!

Brian

Yeah but it's still a KIT CAR! And it's plastic to boot! I'll stick to the real thing, thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Newell:
I'll agree with it being a replicar. But a kitcar???? Come on, do your homework!!
Besides, at least my car won't turn into a rust buckets

Brian, face it....it's a KIT CAR car...will always be a KIT CAR.

Also, my GT5S won't turn into a rust bucket either...difference is, mine is ALL STEEL!!:-)
Link copied to your clipboard.