Skip to main content

Pantera, lot #967.1 to be auctioned by Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale next month.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmis...aid=283&d=01/13/2009

I think that most, if not all, of Barret-Jackson cars are sold at no reserve. It will be interesting to see how this car does.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They are also re-selling the Tom Tjaard Pantera that went through BJ in Vegas a few months ago!
I know the guy that sold them (the guys who redid it with Tom) the car and he said the motor was on its last legs and the suspension was completely shot!! Maybe the guy that bought it has figured that out and decided to get out asap.
Also going is the red Pantera with all the gold trim and plating that was at PIM for sale for some time.
That black Pantera is the ugliest Pantera I've ever seen. It's been on ebay a few times and if I remember right the guy wanted $100K for it. Get real! 5000 hours of wasted work went into creating that thing and when it was done they must have thought "If we paint it matte black maybe it won't look so bad". The interior looks like crap, the engine bay's all grungy.......... I'd be suprised if they could get $20K for it. Seriously, I hope it's on live TV so I can watch the horified look on the owners face when he gets no bids!

It would be real nice to get a nice clean well done Pantera at BJ sometime.

Ian
Sold for $47,300 inclusive of buyers premium, so the seller walks away with a mere $39,500.

Similarly Pure Gold sold for $55K inclusive of buyers premium. I thought it was gonna go for $30K at one pooint, they had to work it real hard to get the bidding started.

Julian
I watched the auction last night and was tetotally peed off when they went to the fantasy bid car intead of showing the orange car being bid on. But I checked it out today and it sold for $110,000. Wasnt that Tom Tjarrda's car?
I didnt sit and watch the auction this year has I have in the past. Not many really high end cars this year. I have a question maybe one of you might have seen this. But when Reggie Jackson's COPO ZL-1 Camaro was being auctioned off, it sold for $290,000, but it sure looked like Reggie was bidding on the car himself??? Or did I just imagine it?
Jeff
quote:
Originally posted by Detroitmaso:
That black Pantera is the ugliest Pantera I've ever seen. It's been on ebay a few times and if I remember right the guy wanted $100K for it. Get real! 5000 hours of wasted work went into creating that thing and when it was done they must have thought "If we paint it matte black maybe it won't look so bad". The interior looks like crap, the engine bay's all grungy.......... I'd be suprised if they could get $20K for it. Seriously, I hope it's on live TV so I can watch the horified look on the owners face when he gets no bids!

It would be real nice to get a nice clean well done Pantera at BJ sometime.

Ian

It wasn't one of my favorites either but ouch! Although it would be kinda funny for a car to get 0 bids.
quote:
I watched the auction last night and was totally peed off when they went to the fantasy bid car instead of showing the orange car being bid on. But I checked it out today and it sold for $110,000. Wasn't that Tom Tjaarda's car?

Yes, that was the car Tom sold at the Vegas BJ, I suppose it classifies as 'his' car, but in truth he purchased it to flip and only owned it for 6 months whilst the updates were completed and then BJ hyped it with front page Catalog coverage for Vegas. I'm glad to see the initial investor got most of his money back (he paid $100K + 10% buyers premium and got back $100K less 8% seller fee) so it only cost $18K to own for 3 months!! I thought it could have been a lot worse.

Julian
Was just watching the auction, and they said they had a jag of emails asking if Reggie was bidding on his own car. Well they explained that the Camaro was one of his previous cars, and he asked if he could bid on it and was told he had to go to the floor. So thats why he was bidding. They did explain it would be unethical to bid on your own car.
Jeff
quote:
Well they explained that the Camaro was one of his previous cars, and he asked if he could bid on it and was told he had to go to the floor.

Hmmm, if he's bidding to win then all very well, if it's to push up the price and drop out that's still shill bidding.
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
quote:
Well they explained that the Camaro was one of his previous cars, and he asked if he could bid on it and was told he had to go to the floor.

Hmmm, if he's bidding to win then all very well, if it's to push up the price and drop out that's still shill bidding.

Well he didn't win it because he did stop bidding at some point so........Fine line between not bidding and dropping out???
quote:
Originally posted by Joules5:
Similarly Pure Gold sold for $55K inclusive of buyers premium. I thought it was gonna go for $30K at one pooint, they had to work it real hard to get the bidding started.

Julian

I though Pure Gold would have fetched more for someone into gold. It was more of a driver as stated in the link below (with photos), but still. I wonder what it sold at PMI a few months ago. There are some rather unique parts of the car if you look close...for instance check out the wheel center caps!
http://www.pim.net/puregold.html
Side markers are a Federal requirement. As for each state, who knows? Plenty of older cars on the road without them, right? Can you legally remove side marker lights? Got me.

Pure Gold's lack of front signals may be another issue; perhaps they are relocated but not visible behind the front grill?

Again, each state will vary. But I think the only legal requirement is for you to signal your turning intentions. That can still be met with an arm out the window,right? Did Model T's come with turn signals? Aren't they still legal to drive on the roads?

Perhaps Michigan is a stickler for these type of things but I think it is a non-issue here in not-too-sunny California.

Larry
Hmmm, not how I read it.

25100. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b) and (d), every vehicle 80 inches or more in overall width shall be equipped during darkness as follows:
(d) Clearance and side-marker lamps are not required on auxiliary dollies or on passenger vehicles other than a housecar.

However, if you have converted your Pantera into a housecar that is more than 80" wide, you better keep the side markers. roll on floor

Larry
look at the very last item, #f

...anything built on or after January 1st, 1968...

The "acid test" would be to try to find any car built after that date that does not have side marker lights or at least tail lamps and/or front turn signals that wrap around the sides and function as such.

I cannot think of any car legally sold in the U.S. that doesn't have illumination on the sides built since 1/1/1968.
Last edited by fourwalling
quote:
look at the very last item, #f

...anything built on or after January 1st, 1968..

The key point to this section is at the very beginning.

It applies only to vehicles wider than 80", with the exceptions noted in (b) and (d).

The January 1, 1968 reference is specifying the height of the lights for included vehicles (80" wide) made after that date. Height is not regulated for vehicles built before that date.

Again, this section does not apply to our passenger cars.

There may very well be a section that applies to our cars, but this isn't it.

Larry
quote:
Can you think of any vehicle that passed the "acid test" in regards to anything built since January 1st, 1968 that does NOT have some kind of side marker illumination?

Hi Kelly,

No I can't. As I have already said, your point is valid.

But this discussion was started on what was legal to drive on the street.

The side marker reg was another Fed mandate. It may well have been adopted by some/all states.

But section 25100 is not for passenger cars. It in fact specifically exempts passenger cars.

As I said, it may very well be a requirement, but 25100 isn't what an officer would use to cite an owner of a passenger car for deleted side marker lights.

And I'm still wondering just what the legal differences are between a clearance light and a side-marker light?

Find me the CA vehicle code for side marker lights on passenger cars and I'll admit defeat. Wink

Larry
quote:
Originally posted by LF - TP 2511:
[QUOTE]
And I'm still wondering just what the legal differences are between a clearance light and a side-marker light?
Larry

Larry
As I read clearance lights are on a forward facing surface of the vehicle-such as the top of the cab or the tailgate of the truck. Side marker lights are on a side facing surface-such as a fender or door. Legal difference then would only be the location on the vehicle-otherwise they are the same.
Link copied to your clipboard.