Skip to main content

So, where are we on the issue of identifying the four bolt part numbers from the three bolt part numbers ? Regardless of which chassis we use ( taurus/aerostar/windstar) we just get a standard photo and description. We ordered the cardone 42-376/377 and although they showed a four bolt on screen, a three bolt arrived.

Is there some way to properly identify and order the four bolt units ?

Thanks, Paul...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The number you find on an OEM Ford part are not actually part numbers per se, so you will have a hard time finding what you are looking for using those numbers. The numbers listed on the part are engineering numbers.

The first two digits describe the year the engineering was budgeted.

The third digit traditionally defines which vehicle group paid for the engineering, but with the newer parts using a numerical code, I'm not certain if that is still true.

The fourth digit describes what area of the vehicle (e.g. "B" for body, "E" for engine, etc.)

The next grouping of alpha-numeric characters in front of the dash or space on the end are a part number. It describes that specific type of part for that specific location, in any vehicle. An intake manifold, for example, is 9425.

The last digit(s) are the revision number.

So, below are two different intake manifolds engineering numbers. They would have been found on a variety of vehicles, and the numbers themselves only let you know who paid for engineering it, not which specific vehicles used it.

D4AE-9425-CB
This is an intake for a 351C and would only be found on vehicles model year 1974 or later.

C8OE-9425-C
This is an intake for a 428 CJ/SCJ and would be found only on model year 1968 and later vehicles.

Interesting fact, the "O" signifies that the Fairlane/Torino program paid for the engineering of the CJ intake manifold, not the Mustang.

Bringing this back around, after doing a little digging, I believe the "part numbers" you are seeking are as follows:

F09Z-1123394-A
F09Z-1123395-A

Note that they are very similar, but not the same. Kind of like having the numbers that are close to the combination of a lock, but not quite.

Hope this will be helpful for anyone seeking parts in the future.

Paul
Ford dealerships can work with the engineering numbers. The local shop refered me to another dealership that showed the parts on the shelf. I can call during biz hours and have them look at the actual motor.

The 3 hole motors are ~50 bucks plus a $20 core at napa... ~43 bucks at Rockauto with no core.
140 plus local, 90 plus online. Both cardone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.