Skip to main content

Hi All,

I'm looking to procure (2) 4 post lifts for my garage, in the early spring. I planned to do it this past year but time got away from me.  This will only be used for storage.  I was researching the Bend Pak, but with so many out there, can anyone give a recommendation?   The picture was taken several years back, before the garage became a clutter magnet.   Also sold the 1985 GT5 and in it's place is a 1971 GT5 clone.

Thanks, Mike

Garage pic

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Garage pic
Last edited by George P
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have an 8,000 pd. DMS lift that I use primarily for storage, and under carriage work.  I have the ability to move it with the caster wheels, and I like otis' option of the dual trolley jack for raising and lowering the vehicle on the ramps. With the number of lifts on the market, just make sure it meets your specifications regarding width, weight, length, heights, safety (auto lock), etc.  (My neighbor purchased one for storing his vehicles only to find that it was too narrow after trading for a later model vehicle.)

I would stay with a company that is in the garage supply business and has been for a number of years and will be there for repair, if needed.

The one "con" with my lift are the ramps for driving vehicle on and off over the end of the frame. They are steel and rather heavy each time I decide to move the upper vehicle. A set of reinforced aluminum ramps would be ideal for which I am planning to buy.

I have a Bend Pak 9000 pound four post lift and getting it adjusted correctly was a problem. The lift releasing design requires an air source. I used a small portable air compressor rather than Bend Pak's self charging air kit. In my opinion I would rather have a manual lever releasing system to lower the lift. My old two post lift has two manual release levers and the stops are on the outside of the post where you can see them.  That design seems better and safer, but if you are just storing a vehicle, then the air release system might not be a huge problem. Bend Pak does offer a lot of accessories for their lifts, which if you want to spend the money you can get the benefit of a two post lift with a four post lift.

I have had a Direct lift for over 10 years, I dismantled it and re-installed when I moved house, never an issue. I think they all have safety locks nowadays, I don't regret spending a few extra $ for the sliding jacks. I also have a mid-rise scissor lift that gets more use for actual work on the cars, where the 4 post is more a storage solution.

My Direct Lift works like a charm for the past 20 years or so. End ramps are kinda heavy, but I suppose most ramps are. Could always get those hard styrofoam type ramps but I would be afraid of them moving around whereas the metal ramps fit snugly right into the lift itself and will never move when in and out with the car. Backing into the ramps allows lotsa room for the garage door over the lower front hood, but no martinis allowed before doing so.IMG_5730GarageStaka

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_5730GarageStaka

The Advantage lifts come with diamond stamped aluminum ramps. My 10year old is able to move them and install them when ever they like. They will all have safety locks. If you notice though in the pictures above of how they are constructed I would lean toward (which I did) the Advantage for a more solid construction. The Advantage posts are boxed on all four sides where as the Direct pictured (and many others) are not. Also you can see in the pictures that in the lifted position The Advantage post is also boxed completely by the cross beam that keeps the lift together. The posts then ride in the middle of the cross beam box ends as it goes up like a cylinder. Inside that box is lined with a teflon material to slide up and down the post.  The posts can never walk out this way.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.